Getting into gaming, need a new laptop

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
1. What is your budget?
Under 1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I want to start gaming, probably play the witcher and WOW and whatever else, I do not know yet. Ditto with the settings, I have no idea about those things

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photoshopping, web browsing, streaming netflix, office work

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Doesn't really matter. I could always upgrade or get an external thing later on, I suppose.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX56500 I was looking at this. if anyone can suggest something better for cheaper, etc, that'd be awesome

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

The one I have now, a Compac cq50 I bought in 2008. It's really keeling over, now. The screen is knackered, BSOD on the regular, yadda yadda. It had a good life. Hopefully this new one will live as long.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
bluray, I suppose.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I kind of want to avoid HP if possible, unless there's a really good hp out there.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I've never gamed before, because I have never had a computer that could handle it, so I am new at this. I might be picking up this msi ge70 sometime within the next 24 hours or so. Memory express is holding the last one for me. So time is of the essence.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 1, 2015

This dude has a point as for a alternative
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201503AM110000025/A18486 - Increased ram rest all same. Asus should hire me this is the second time i am getting them a possible customer. But seriously if your budget extends till 1500$ you must consider the 970m as your gpu. Bang for buck gpu so far that and it will be a bit more future proof.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Where would I be able to buy a barebone laptop? I know of desktops being able to be built from scratch, but not laptops. I can't deviate over 1500 with tax. I'm probably pushing it as is.

That asus looks good, but has a 15.6" screen, rather than 17.

Also, just curious about the core. Is an i7 really necessary, or can an i5 due, but with added gpu?

A barebones 17", 1080p laptop with a GTX 970M for $1147USD (which is what $1500 Canadian is)?

Sweet deal!! :D

This IS $1500 Canadian, correct?

I actually wasn't suggesting one. Was simply pointing out to velo that the dollar amount was Canadian dollars. Doubt very much if a (new) laptop is available with the GTX 970M @ $1147USD.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Ah ok. I was thinking there is the probably of sarcasm in that post. Wasn't too sure, lol.

The deal I was offered by memory express is that they are selling, the total with tax, but no additional warranty other than the one year provided by msi would come to $1,401CAD or $1,071 US.

The one they are selling me is an open box/display unit, so they offered to take an additional 5% off, bringing the price with taxes, to $1,329CAD or $1,011 USD

You know, others may disagree with me, but I say go for it. That's a good price for a good gaming laptop, and you still get the one year warranty. You aren't gonna do that much better in your price range. The 970M is just too costly to consider.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
I'm torn, lol. It looks like a good system, but it has a few bells and whistles I don't really need, like the backlit keyboard. I am not sure how or if I would utilize that too much

So you'd prefer a laptop with less features for the same money?

Where else can you purchase from? Maybe newegg.com?

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Less features for less. I mean, how much of what I am paying for with this unit is covering the cost of those bells and whistles? I would rather not have to buy stuff I won't use. I don't have to buy from memory express, I could go elsewhere. Newegg.com is american, so anything I buy from there, if they ship to canada, will have duty fees and what not added to it. Newegg.ca might have something comparable, though their selections aren't as vast.

I'm going to go to ME for now and pick up this laptop. They have a 7 day return policy, should I change my mind or someone can suggest something else. I am only stepping it up right now because of this back to school sale. I'm not in critical need just yet.

There ya go. At least you can try it out for a few days. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find anything at newegg.ca.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
I bought the GE70 this afternoon and only just fired it up now. It looks like I am going to have to return it because there is a dead pixel in the screen.

The guy behind the counter said I could simply replace the harddrive and memory in my current computer to give it a few more years. But it won't give me the means to play games and I doubt that that is worth it as the first row of pixels at the top of this monitor are all dead.

Jun 1, 2015
Well to be rather honest you can build a desktop rig more powerful than your laptop and within the same budget or less. So the guy does have a point. Not to mention you could always salvage what you can from your desktop. Desktop's are always preferable if an individual wants to game because compared to laptops and consoles where you gotta usually replace it a desktop will be fine with an upgrade. But this stuff is usually for hardcore gamers who prefer the best.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
I don't have a desktop, currently. Just an old Compaq Presario cq50 laptop I bought back in 2007 or 8. I would like to own a desktop again someday, but as it stands I am too nomadic for it. In fact, I am probably going to be moving to ontario from british columbia in a year or so. And then bumping around out there for a while until I am settled. So the least amount of stuff I need to lug around, the better.

Just curious though, what kind of ranking does the GE70 hold, as far as gaming laptops go? I have read a few reviews about it and people keep using phrases like "it does what you expect for a gaming laptop at this level"

Newegg is rather pricier than memory express..

Didn't realize that it was cad $ as they are more expensive.