Getting into gaming, need a new laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
1. What is your budget?
Under 1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I want to start gaming, probably play the witcher and WOW and whatever else, I do not know yet. Ditto with the settings, I have no idea about those things

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photoshopping, web browsing, streaming netflix, office work

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Doesn't really matter. I could always upgrade or get an external thing later on, I suppose.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX56500 I was looking at this. if anyone can suggest something better for cheaper, etc, that'd be awesome

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

The one I have now, a Compac cq50 I bought in 2008. It's really keeling over, now. The screen is knackered, BSOD on the regular, yadda yadda. It had a good life. Hopefully this new one will live as long.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
bluray, I suppose.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I kind of want to avoid HP if possible, unless there's a really good hp out there.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I've never gamed before, because I have never had a computer that could handle it, so I am new at this. I might be picking up this msi ge70 sometime within the next 24 hours or so. Memory express is holding the last one for me. So time is of the essence.

Thanks for the help!

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Memory express said that they will take back my laptop. If I wanted a replacement, they will ship one in from a different store and I will have to pay for the shipping, plus the price difference. Trying to get a hold of a manager now to see if they could do me a solid by replacing the laptop for the same price, being that I will have to wait for the new one to come in, etc. I already had to wait a day and a half when I was buying it, as they were cleaning it up and resetting it to the factory settings being that it was a demo.

czechzican

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Heeeey, look at this thread! I remember it.. Hope all is well with everyone!

So, my situation is the same as it was a year ago. Still using this HP with an external monitor because the native one is kaput. Haven't moved back east yet, and not sure if and when I will do so. I would like a desktop, but I have no room for it.

I took the laptop back and was told the replacement one would be at the full cost, rather than with the demo discount. In addition, the manager was really irritating, laughing and smiling while giving me rubbish news. I hate it when people do that. Needless to say, I left the store empty handed.

Now, I have a friend that works at a store and is letting me use her staff discount. Honestly, I am not sure about the models they are suggesting.

http://www.londondrugs.com/shop/computers/computers-computerslaptop/computers-computerslaptop-pclaptops

Any advice on one to pick up? I believe her discount is cost plus 20%, though I have no idea if that is a good deal. This store tends to be pricey.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!