Getting static out of sound system, only through "over the air" tv source. All other inputs work great.

olsens11

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
I have a brand new LG tv, to which I have connected several game systems, a computer, and an ota antenna. I also have a Sherwood receiver and some old Bose speakers.
The tv only has optical audio out, the receiver only has rca in. In order to avoid buying a new sound system, I bought an optical audio to rca converter for about 10 bucks. Connected into aux input on receiver, and everything sounds great- except tv. All you get is static through the sound system.
My workaround for the time being is to simply turn off the sound system and use the built in speakers when watching tv.
Any ideas on eliminating the static?

Update:
Spoke to LG, apparently the audio for the antenna is output as either Dolby Digital or Mpeg, while there are many more supported audio output formats for the other inputs. I will purchase an optical to rca adapter that is Dolby digital compatible.

Update#2: New adapter came in the mail today, this one is Dolby Digital compatible. Everything works great!

Solution
If everything except TV which uses your $10 optical-to-RCA adapter sounds great, then your adapter is either defective, fake or does not support your TV's audio output format.

olsens11

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
I suppose it could be the adapter, but to be clear, the audio for all the other sources works great. And everything goes through the adapter. So why would the audio from the antenna input be the only thing affected?

Also, assuming that it's an issue with the output format of the audio, can you recommend an adapter that would work?