Glasses-Free 3D Experience Possible on iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
3D-ish, if you don't get seasick from the requirement for constant reorientation, which this kind of 3D requires, and has existed on devices for a long time...

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Nice concept but my old nokia has a front facing camera too :D Theoretically it can do 3D long before iPad 2... :D iPad is not magical!

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Nice concept but my old nokia has a front facing camera too Theoretically it can do 3D long before iPad 2... iPad is not magical![/citation]
yes you need to have also the processing power to do that.
I think the reason here that they used iPad 2 is that is the most widely sold tablet.
It's up to the developer to implement it on the other platforms.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Simply wow!
But since I'm wearing glasses anyway I want circular polarization stereoscopic display so I can also tilt my head while playing/watching/working

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]smeker[/nom]yes you need to have also the processing power to do that.I think the reason here that they used iPad 2 is that is the most widely sold tablet.It's up to the developer to implement it on the other platforms.[/citation]

Check Ebil's link. If a DSi can do this, any device with a front facing camera can do this. Not new, not innovative, just a couple of hacks trying to exploit gullible mactards with "check out what your amazing iPad can do".

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
This looks far more impressive on a camera than it does in real life and it's nothing new. Since both eyes see the same image, it's flat and lacks depth. It can certainly increase immersion but it doesn't feel 3D in the slightest. Of course, this coupled with a true 3D display can lead to an incredible sense of immersion.

G

@Vladislaus

as opposed to the artificial depth perception that a stereoscopic display produces... there really isnt much to differentiate the two, they both provide artificial depth perception, one is a passive setup the other is dynamic

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Check Ebil's link. If a DSi can do this, any device with a front facing camera can do this. Not new, not innovative, just a couple of hacks trying to exploit gullible mactards with "check out what your amazing iPad can do".[/citation]
I can see you are one of the so called "cool people' / apple haters.
I bet you wouldnt haved complained and trolled if this demo was actually done on a Xoom...
get a life

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
NICE SOFTWARE!!! yea u heard me, SOFTWARE!

seriously this isn't about hardware at all but the ability to utilize complex software and simplified hardware to create no glasses 3d.

In my opinion, this is better than that funky thing nintendo came out with in the 3DS,

or those 3d TV's..

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The fact that we have enough processing power now that we can have a 1 lb. handheld device that not only renders 3D graphics but can also run a object tracking algorithm via optical camera at the same time is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.