Global 3D TV Shipments Soar in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Agree guys. I think these companies like Samsung are betting the proverbial farm on 3D and I think they are going to be very dissapointed as people wait for 3D without the glasses (which is coming). There may be a huge overinventory and they may be forced to drop prices way down this fall. I certainly hope so as I've been wanting a good 46" LED, but have been holding out for prices to drop.

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
While I wont say everything looks better in 3D and understand the difficulty in producing some content like sporting events in the 3D format I will say films,documentarys and games produced from the ground up with perspetive correct 3D can be very impressive, as the format improves with higher native frame rates that reduce judder and visual stress the the allready good 3D display technolgy will get better and film producers will learn how to take advantage of the format and avoid its pitfalls.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I just visited Costco the other day and saw 3D for the first time, very cool, but not worth the money. It seems to add depth of field, but the objects look like paper to me.
The moment I turned on the glasses my head also felt somewhat strange, not like a headache, but I could tell they were on just due to the feeling.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
It's not hard to explain these figures: Most TVs that are on sale these days are 3D capable, so most consumers really don't have the choice.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]It's not hard to explain these figures: Most TVs that are on sale these days are 3D capable, so most consumers really don't have the choice.[/citation]
Exactly. Plus, 120 Hz looks better than 60 Hz anyway, so people might even go by choice for 120 Hz 2D that is able to do stereo if ever needed.

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Panasonic have stripped off features off their 2011 range of 2D TVs, you have to get their 3D TVs to get the best features and best 2D picture, whether you want 3D or not. I don't want to pay the 3D price premium for something I won't use so I'm having to look at buying their 2010 top end 2D TV.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I'm going against the comment trend here but I love 3D TV!

Its obviously a personal thing, I think 3D content looks great jumping out at ya, and anything 2D + hi-def looks with much better with the added depth of 3D switched on.

Well worth the money imo.

G

I rushed out and bought the A PANASONIC 50" 3D tv as soon as it hit the shelves, along with a few sets of glasses and an Onkyo Receiver and 5.1 speaker setup!, Cost over £2100 for the setup, was it worth it!

OH HELL YES!

Sky 3d, light on the ground at the moment, but more and more content coming, most of the Rugby games I want to watch are on there anyways, along with a good choice of Football games, good documentaries and films.

My pc plugs straight in to the receiver, allowing me to run DDD drivers on the PC to allow 3D conversion of any DVD I own (497 at last count including box-sets counted as a single) as well as pretty much every game I own played on the 50" in full glorious 3d, nothing compares!

Lots of opinion out there that this is a FAD, yes it is!, one which I am enjoying immensely!

I am looking forward to Glasses free Screens, as that is the only thing that I do not like, but it is new technology, and by the time 50" glasses screens are cheap enough to buy, I would have had my 50" Panasonic for well over 5 years or more!

I personally now prefer watching movies at home instead of the cinema, its a far better experience!

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone how buys 3D now will be shelving an obsolete TV format in just a few years. Companies and researchers are look heavily into was to do 3D without glasses. I know I know there are issues that glasses solve and it seems impossible to solve those problems with glasses free 3D. That is what is driving the research so much that we will probably have new 3D TVs sooner rather than later. Imagine spending $10,000 on a projector only to find out its going to be obsolete soon. I say that because I have a sony VPL-VW85 projector and their 3D model came out less than a year after I bought it but the projector was 10K and you know it will be obsolete soon.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I did not see any hard figures in the article to support that 3D TV shipments are "soaring". I only saw projections which dont mean squat.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]It's not hard to explain these figures: Most TVs that are on sale these days are 3D capable, so most consumers really don't have the choice.[/citation]
Which makes these stats totally bogus. These stats are marketing spin designed to play off the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality of the marketplace.

My hope is that sooner or later, 3D will have had it's 15-minutes of fame and will die just like 3D in the US in the 1950's.

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
3-D is such a worthless gimmick.

Yes, it's cool the first time you see a 3-D film in the theater. Then the novelty wears off quickly and it becomes a distraction to watching a movie and becoming immersed in the storytelling of the film. The feeling of a leaf flying at your face is not needed to make an effective film. The power of film is due to the story that is transpiring on screen, which, if well written, will draw the audience in on its own. Attempts to convince audience members that they are actually in the film world are really attempts to compensate for inadequate storytelling and scripts.

I too hope 3-D cinema dies a quick death.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
My eyes have a hard enough time staring at a 2D screen all day... the last thing I need are some false focus points being added into the mix. It's like they thought my vision wasn't being deteriorated quickly enough...

And most 3D stuff is over-exaggerated anyways. I saw a couple minutes of a soccer game in 3D... it looked like there were pieces of paper popping out of the screen, and just looked horrible in general. I thought the whole point of 3D is to make it more realistic.

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
The feeling of a leaf flying at your face is not needed to make an effective film
Sure. And neither:
1920*1080p, 1920*1080i, 720*480p...
300'', 65'', 50'' or 40'' screen size...
HDMI 1.3 true colors, or even colors at all...
True Dolby, DTS 7.1, 5.1, Dolby 5.1, Stereo...

I am surprised to see how many people reject new technology like 3D here.

Anyway, from Camera, TV, Smart Phone to computer, everything will go 3D in the next decade and I think it's great!
Sport, movies, documentaries, games will never look the same!
Even the home video of your grand-childrens!
Sooner or later, we'll all love 3D!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]jujuvivi[/nom]Sure. And neither:1920*1080p, 1920*1080i, 720*480p...300'', 65'', 50'' or 40'' screen size...HDMI 1.3 true colors, or even colors at all...True Dolby, DTS 7.1, 5.1, Dolby 5.1, Stereo...I am surprised to see how many people reject new technology like 3D here.Anyway, from Camera, TV, Smart Phone to computer, everything will go 3D in the next decade and I think it's great!Sport, movies, documentaries, games will never look the same!Even the home video of your grand-childrens!Sooner or later, we'll all love 3D![/citation]

Because unlike the standards you mentioned 3d looks like crap and enhances nothing. Looks fake and IMO comic bookish. I was going to buy a TV but i cannot find a good TV anymore with out 3d and the super price hike that goes with something i don't even want. 3D isnt a new technology by far its a new spin on a old idea that keeps failing over and over. because it SUCKS. whats worse is its not even freaking 3d its 2d that tries to fake a 3d like effect like those stupid posters that shows a image when you look at them long enough. The sad part is 3dtv looks just as bad as those posters. Yes sooner or later we will all love 3d. As soon as someone develops 3d. But this 2d fake is garbage. Some people are to easy to impress with smoke and mirrors we wont actually get something worth it for a lot longer then i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS