Global Payments (Mostly) Ditched by Visa After Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]And yet most corps want to roll out the cloud...[/citation]
This is precisely why I refuse to use Google docs or similar service. Just imagine not only getting credit card numbers. Hackers would be getting tax returns, social security numbers, addresses, bank account numbers, and any other personal information someone would normally store on their computer. All that info is there if you use Turbotax and Quicken.

Sure one of these companies security software would totally dominate any security software on your home PC. Being more secure in that sense. However, your home PC is not a tempting enough target for a hacker to spend five seconds with trying to hack. Let alone numerous teams of hackers around the world dedicated to breaching your security.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]amdfreak[/nom]PayPal si the one and only real global payment. the rest simply sux[/citation]

If PayPal is the answer, I don't want to know the question....

G

I know someone who works for Global Payments, and considering their position, it is amazing that they only found out about the breach via a third party after the news was leaked on March 30th. It seems the upper management kept nearly everyone out of the loop, and in doing so, made the same mistake that Sony did. Sony was able to at least offer free stuff when they finally did come back online, softening the blow somewhat. But what can Global Payments do? Their image is tarnished and it will be difficult to restore confidence after this. Global is actually a good company, but it's decisions like this by upper management types to try and hide stuff that makes it look terrible.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]This is precisely why I refuse to use Google docs or similar service. Just imagine not only getting credit card numbers. Hackers would be getting tax returns, social security numbers, addresses, bank account numbers, and any other personal information someone would normally store on their computer. All that info is there if you use Turbotax and Quicken.Sure one of these companies security software would totally dominate any security software on your home PC. Being more secure in that sense. However, your home PC is not a tempting enough target for a hacker to spend five seconds with trying to hack. Let alone numerous teams of hackers around the world dedicated to breaching your security.[/citation]

You don't need to put all your sensitive shit on google docs. ;) I use it and I am happy but I only put stuff that is not too important or private. I know that the Big Brother is watching me

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Nothing to worry. The hackers are just trying to point out security issues; nothing sinister on their minds.
/SARCASM

How much longer until we treat -end penalize- these types of actions as harshly as, say, a bank robbery ?

Status
Not open for further replies.