Global Rollout of HTC One X Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

One of the reasons I love having an Asus tablet (not nexus 7) is because they update so quickly, i had 4.1 more than a month ago, and will probably get a 4.2.1 update within the coming weeks

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Last update didn't played nice with cyanogenmod recovery. Guess i will need to flash back the official recovery to get the update to work.

G

It's not rolling out globally ,the update is cidtargeteupdate,it doesn't matter where in the world you are ,if you have the right cid you will get the update ,so far only Taiwanand India cids have the update ,UK ,brasil,Russia cids no update unless if they have an Asian HTC one xv

G

Android is technology by committee:

Google makes an OS, and then says "software and hardware isn't our problem"
HTC et al makes some hardware, then says "the OS and software isn't our problem"
Millions of random hacks make some software, than say "the OS and hardware isn't our problem"

And then, like in many committees, it takes a lot of time to get nothing done. The software is fragmented and poorly optimized (if it works at all), the hardware is underutilized and far too expensive for the given experience, and the OS moves too fast to give programmers time to make anything worthwhile.

The only place such type of technology works is at the very bottom of the price spectrum, and for script kiddies to experiment. For people that want things to work reliably, with little input from them (which is the vast majority), a more thorough approach is needed.

Who cares that the Android OS is one digit higher now? What does that mean for the user?

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]Xperias in the poop house[/nom]Android is technology by committee:Google makes an OS, and then says "software and hardware isn't our problem"HTC et al makes some hardware, then says "the OS and software isn't our problem"Millions of random hacks make some software, than say "the OS and hardware isn't our problem"And then, like in many committees, it takes a lot of time to get nothing done. The software is fragmented and poorly optimized (if it works at all), the hardware is underutilized and far too expensive for the given experience, and the OS moves too fast to give programmers time to make anything worthwhile.The only place such type of technology works is at the very bottom of the price spectrum, and for script kiddies to experiment. For people that want things to work reliably, with little input from them (which is the vast majority), a more thorough approach is needed.Who cares that the Android OS is one digit higher now? What does that mean for the user?[/citation]

I do agree with you on the last point, who cares if your OS is one digit higher now. Because from what I can tell, mobile OS has hit a wall, there are no more killer features, this include Android and iOS. My iOS friends totally wish they haven't downgrade from iOS 5 to iOS 6, they were "perfectly" happy with iOS 5. I recently upgraded my Nexus 7 to Android 4.2, was excited for 10 minutes, my Galaxy S3 was upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1, I was excited for 15 minutes.

As far as OS moving too fast? lol
Tell that to my brother and my gf, their words, "iPhone is boring~". They'll be switching over to Galaxy S4 or Note 3. I said the same thing about 2 generations ago, dropped the iPhone for a Galaxy phone, never looked back.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm rocking 4.2 on my GNex. Always get the latest updates. That's what sucks about Android phones. Other manufactures make you wait forever.

When I owned a Motorola Droid, I felt abandoned. I guess that's why iOS users stay with iOS. For me it was a no brainer to go with Android because customization and side loading apps are 2 of the most important features I wanted. I don't want a phone like everyone else. I want a phone that only I know how to use. It gives me a sense of power to have control of my property.

The reason why I switched to a Nexus was because of updates and I was able to chose the GSM carrier I wanted without a contract. Updates makes me feel as though Google still cared for me. Phones get outdated quick today so I'm really hoping my GNex will good for another year or more because it is still a very capable device.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]I do agree with you on the last point, who cares if your OS is one digit higher now. Because from what I can tell, mobile OS has hit a wall, there are no more killer features, this include Android and iOS. My iOS friends totally wish they haven't downgrade from iOS 5 to iOS 6, they were "perfectly" happy with iOS 5. I recently upgraded my Nexus 7 to Android 4.2, was excited for 10 minutes, my Galaxy S3 was upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1, I was excited for 15 minutes.As far as OS moving too fast? lolTell that to my brother and my gf, their words, "iPhone is boring~". They'll be switching over to Galaxy S4 or Note 3. I said the same thing about 2 generations ago, dropped the iPhone for a Galaxy phone, never looked back.[/citation]
I think the general population will have to demand more before Apple does more. As long as iPhone sales continue to be off-the-charts, though, Apple has little motivation to bring a more contemporary UI to iOS. I'd like to see not only this but them also correct the build quality issue they're currently experiencing with the iPhone 5. ...then I might be interested again. Until then, Android is my friend, for I am loyal to no technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.