Gmail Experiences Worldwide Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

it wont come out of beta, google policy, something about everything should be always changing and evolving, and if it were tagged as out of beta, then it would be finished, but it's not to them. if you'll notice, google itself is still considered beta, as is everything they do...

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Here in Brazil we had not only gmail problems, but all google sites were unreachable.. Orkut, youtube, gmail and google search. It took around 1 hour to be able to go to all pages again..

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
i had no problem whatsoever accessing gmail or any Google services that i used this morning. the "worldwide" seems a bit of an overstatement if there are a lot more people like me who could still access the services.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I wonder if any of this is ISP-related. Is Google having issues with its own ISPs, or are various choke-points around the globe filtering out what must be an excessive amount of traffic from Google? Or is Google really so inept they can't write a working version of an e-mail server 20+ years after email started? They aren't even the biggest webmail host (Yahoo is), so its not like they can use the excuse they have more email traffic than anyone else.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've had a Gmail account since the real original beta, never use it really. My hotmail and yahoo accounts seems more reliable, never had an issue accessing them.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Oh no... I guess Google won't be able to pilfer through all of the emails to datamine all the goodies. Such a terrible day that personal privacy isn't being invaded.

G

"hellwig 05/08/2009 6:37 PM Hide -0+
I wonder if any of this is ISP-related. Is Google having issues with its own ISPs, or are various choke-points around the globe filtering out what must be an excessive amount of traffic from Google? Or is Google really so inept they can't write a working version of an e-mail server 20+ years after email started? They aren't even the biggest webmail host (Yahoo is), so its not like they can use the excuse they have more email traffic than anyone else."

-uh, no they aren't the biggest email holder but they do have more servers than anyone in the world. and store more data than anyone in the world. I think e-mail is just a fraction of that.
And inept? Seriously? I've had the same e-mail address with them for 5 years. You know how much spam I get in my inbox? Zero. My girlfriend on yahoo.. you know how much she gets? Let's put it this way... it's hard for her to find her normal mail in the spam fog. And that's the way it is with every yahoo and msn holder I talk to. Why they don't step out and move to gmail is beyond me. It's like pulling teeth. I made the switch but everyone seems to be stuck to it like a woman with 2 black eyes is stuck with her hubby.

And when it took msn YEARS to figure out that syncing user names with other services made people happy. Google did that instantly. All their apps that I use.. I don't have to continue to create user accounts and manage more passwords. They just ask me to say "yes, I would like to use this name".

The only thing yahoo's got left that's decent is their online games and some news sections on their main page.

G

I guess its good that it's still a beta. That leaves Google a excuse for any outages.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Seems like it was a DNS server or something. I had no problems at all. If people only noticed it for 1 hour, that also coincides with the standard TTL for a DNS changeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.