Gmail Update Introduces Drive Integration, 10GB File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Now Wait a second.....now I can share files up to 10 gigs through gmail,but i cant send my buddy a rar file or zip through gmail?.....WTF

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
The automatic update and access stuff is awesome, though it could cause a little confusion if something mentioned in the email body is altered before the recipient reads the message, or if you don't want everybody you forwarded it to to be granted eternal access to your file.

Now I don't see much use in bragging about how you can send 10GB files in an email. Are 1080p movies allowed into Drive? :)

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
And not to forget that sending a 10 GB file isn't free.
Your google drive account is only at 5 GB, unless you pay.
Bad considering most people think google is giving you free ad-supported stuff.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]And not to forget that sending a 10 GB file isn't free. Your google drive account is only at 5 GB, unless you pay.Bad considering most people think google is giving you free ad-supported stuff.[/citation]

Actually few people realize that "free" is in fact ad-supported. Most people think Google (and Facebook, and plenty of others) is just a good company who likes to provide free services because... well, they're nice guys.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]The automatic update and access stuff is awesome, though it could cause a little confusion if something mentioned in the email body is altered before the recipient reads the message, or if you don't want everybody you forwarded it to to be granted eternal access to your file.Now I don't see much use in bragging about how you can send 10GB files in an email. Are 1080p movies allowed into Drive?[/citation]

It won't forward the file to users who haven't been given access. If I have family photos on my Google Drive and add my wife's Gmail account as a user with access then I can send her all the photos straight through Gmail. If she fowards it to her friend who I haven't given access to then her friend can't see it.

Google Drive also has options for "public", meaning anyone with the link can see it. You have to manually enable that on the file you wish to share, though.

I don't think they're bragging about 10GB as much as they're saying "hey, you're no longer limited to that 50MB cap like Hotmail has". Even PowerPoints can run into the hundreds of megabytes if they have lots of pictures or multimedia content.

Google Drive can store 1080p video and can even stream it to multiple devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.