? GMS Coverage in LA

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I currently have a TDMA phone and service. However, it is a changing world
and services are "upgrading" and phones are too, but according to the maps
in the central Louisiana area, the GSM market does not look favorable. Does
anyone have any experience with Cingular GSM in this area? I see the GAIT
System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to say the
least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away from this
short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM. If you are in rural areas
will you still have coverage or is that an extra charge under GSM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> I see the GAIT
> System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to
say the
> least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away
from this
> short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Chuck
>
>

Chuck, I'm not sure what your objection is to the GAIT phones. I have
had the T62u for well over a year and am very happy with it. My wife
and my business partner also have them. I live in Dallas (good GSM
coverage) but travel in rural areas including some in Louisiana. The
phone frequently switches to TDMA in these areas, and occasionally to
AMPS. It's great to be able to talk on whatever network happens to be
available! It may not be the coolest phone, but if it's important to
be able to use it, you should consider it for your area.

Bob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> I currently have a TDMA phone and service. However, it is a changing
world
> and services are "upgrading" and phones are too, but according to the maps
> in the central Louisiana area, the GSM market does not look favorable.
Does
> anyone have any experience with Cingular GSM in this area? I see the GAIT
> System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to say
the
> least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away from this
> short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM. If you are in rural areas
> will you still have coverage or is that an extra charge under GSM?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Chuck

On July 4-6, I was using the Cingular 1900 MHz GSM
along I-20 from Tallulah to Monroe to Bastrop. During
my last visit this was all TDMA coverage--now, none.
Along the outer edges of Ouachita and Morehouse Parishs
I found ATTWS 800 MHz GSM coverage. Traveling from Mer
Rouge to Oak Grove (West Carroll Parish) on LA-2, there
were several patches where neither ATTWS or Centennial
TDMA held sway, but my Nokia 6340i found Alltel analog
(digital is CDMA, not usable). I live in Memphis.

I think central Louisiana is good place to have a GAIT
plan and phone. I will use and retain this phone until
AMPS sunsets in 2008, perhaps beyond. I had read a
Cingular press release that GSM was available on their
facilities throughout the state. In the PCS portions of
coverage in the north, it must have happened late one
night that TDMA was turned off completely to turn on
GSM. I found both operating in the New Orleans-Hammond
cellular (800 MHz) areas in January.

John C.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John,

the online maps are out of date. Stop by the
Cingular office and get the latest map. It is the printed map and not
the one on the wall.

I was supprised by the difference.

Chip

John Cummings wrote:
> <chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
>>I currently have a TDMA phone and service. However, it is a changing
>
> world
>
>>and services are "upgrading" and phones are too, but according to the maps
>>in the central Louisiana area, the GSM market does not look favorable.
>
> Does
>
>>anyone have any experience with Cingular GSM in this area? I see the GAIT
>>System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to say
>
> the
>
>>least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away from this
>>short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM. If you are in rural areas
>>will you still have coverage or is that an extra charge under GSM?
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>Chuck
>
>
> On July 4-6, I was using the Cingular 1900 MHz GSM
> along I-20 from Tallulah to Monroe to Bastrop. During
> my last visit this was all TDMA coverage--now, none.
> Along the outer edges of Ouachita and Morehouse Parishs
> I found ATTWS 800 MHz GSM coverage. Traveling from Mer
> Rouge to Oak Grove (West Carroll Parish) on LA-2, there
> were several patches where neither ATTWS or Centennial
> TDMA held sway, but my Nokia 6340i found Alltel analog
> (digital is CDMA, not usable). I live in Memphis.
>
> I think central Louisiana is good place to have a GAIT
> plan and phone. I will use and retain this phone until
> AMPS sunsets in 2008, perhaps beyond. I had read a
> Cingular press release that GSM was available on their
> facilities throughout the state. In the PCS portions of
> coverage in the north, it must have happened late one
> night that TDMA was turned off completely to turn on
> GSM. I found both operating in the New Orleans-Hammond
> cellular (800 MHz) areas in January.
>
> John C.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Ralph Blach" <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote in message
news:10f7r5c4q1vrt95@corp.supernews.com...
> John,
>
> the online maps are out of date. Stop by the
> Cingular office and get the latest map. It is the printed map and not
> the one on the wall.
>
> I was supprised by the difference.
>
> Chip
>
> John Cummings wrote:
> > <chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> >
> >>I currently have a TDMA phone and service. However, it is a changing
> >
> > world
> >
> >>and services are "upgrading" and phones are too, but according to the
maps
> >>in the central Louisiana area, the GSM market does not look favorable.
> >
> > Does
> >
> >>anyone have any experience with Cingular GSM in this area? I see the
GAIT
> >>System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to say
> >
> > the
> >
> >>least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away from
this
> >>short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM. If you are in rural
areas
> >>will you still have coverage or is that an extra charge under GSM?
> >>
> >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >>Chuck
> >
> >
> > On July 4-6, I was using the Cingular 1900 MHz GSM
> > along I-20 from Tallulah to Monroe to Bastrop. During
> > my last visit this was all TDMA coverage--now, none.
> > Along the outer edges of Ouachita and Morehouse Parishs
> > I found ATTWS 800 MHz GSM coverage. Traveling from Mer
> > Rouge to Oak Grove (West Carroll Parish) on LA-2, there
> > were several patches where neither ATTWS or Centennial
> > TDMA held sway, but my Nokia 6340i found Alltel analog
> > (digital is CDMA, not usable). I live in Memphis.
> >
> > I think central Louisiana is good place to have a GAIT
> > plan and phone. I will use and retain this phone until
> > AMPS sunsets in 2008, perhaps beyond. I had read a
> > Cingular press release that GSM was available on their
> > facilities throughout the state. In the PCS portions of
> > coverage in the north, it must have happened late one
> > night that TDMA was turned off completely to turn on
> > GSM. I found both operating in the New Orleans-Hammond
> > cellular (800 MHz) areas in January.
> >
> > John C.

Chip, please make your offer to Chuck. I'm just a recent
visitor.

John C.
 

MD

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
62
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Ralph Blach" <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> opined:
> the online maps are out of date. Stop by the
> Cingular office and get the latest map. It is
> the printed map and not the one on the wall.
>
> I was supprised by the difference.

Current as of a few days ago....

http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/GulfStates/Louisiana/region_wla.htm

different angle:
http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/GulfStates/Louisiana/region_ela.htm

---
MD
 

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
179
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Bob, I don't exactly object the GAIT system or phones, I was just hoping to
get a "cool" flip phone to be "trendy" as my kids might say. However you
bring vaild points that I have considered with the fashion versus
feasibility concept. The feasibility concept is the one that has me
concerned. How long will the GAIT sytem be working and when it is
conpletely useless (if that happens) how good will the phones be. As I
understand it they work on both systems with out many of the bells and
whistles of the straight GSM phones. Will I be "stuck" with this phone for
another 2 years? Perhaps that is a good thing.

Chuck

"Bob Walker" <rowalker@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:nAmIc.7867$7A4.3067@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
>
> <chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> > I see the GAIT
> > System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to
> say the
> > least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away
> from this
> > short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Chuck
> >
> >
>
> Chuck, I'm not sure what your objection is to the GAIT phones. I have
> had the T62u for well over a year and am very happy with it. My wife
> and my business partner also have them. I live in Dallas (good GSM
> coverage) but travel in rural areas including some in Louisiana. The
> phone frequently switches to TDMA in these areas, and occasionally to
> AMPS. It's great to be able to talk on whatever network happens to be
> available! It may not be the coolest phone, but if it's important to
> be able to use it, you should consider it for your area.
>
> Bob
>
>
 

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
179
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thank you all for the map info it has been very helpful

Chuck


"Ralph Blach" <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote in message
news:10f7r5c4q1vrt95@corp.supernews.com...
> John,
>
> the online maps are out of date. Stop by the
> Cingular office and get the latest map. It is the printed map and not
> the one on the wall.
>
> I was supprised by the difference.
>
> Chip
>
> John Cummings wrote:
> > <chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> >
> >>I currently have a TDMA phone and service. However, it is a changing
> >
> > world
> >
> >>and services are "upgrading" and phones are too, but according to the
maps
> >>in the central Louisiana area, the GSM market does not look favorable.
> >
> > Does
> >
> >>anyone have any experience with Cingular GSM in this area? I see the
GAIT
> >>System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to say
> >
> > the
> >
> >>least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away from
this
> >>short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM. If you are in rural
areas
> >>will you still have coverage or is that an extra charge under GSM?
> >>
> >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >>Chuck
> >
> >
> > On July 4-6, I was using the Cingular 1900 MHz GSM
> > along I-20 from Tallulah to Monroe to Bastrop. During
> > my last visit this was all TDMA coverage--now, none.
> > Along the outer edges of Ouachita and Morehouse Parishs
> > I found ATTWS 800 MHz GSM coverage. Traveling from Mer
> > Rouge to Oak Grove (West Carroll Parish) on LA-2, there
> > were several patches where neither ATTWS or Centennial
> > TDMA held sway, but my Nokia 6340i found Alltel analog
> > (digital is CDMA, not usable). I live in Memphis.
> >
> > I think central Louisiana is good place to have a GAIT
> > plan and phone. I will use and retain this phone until
> > AMPS sunsets in 2008, perhaps beyond. I had read a
> > Cingular press release that GSM was available on their
> > facilities throughout the state. In the PCS portions of
> > coverage in the north, it must have happened late one
> > night that TDMA was turned off completely to turn on
> > GSM. I found both operating in the New Orleans-Hammond
> > cellular (800 MHz) areas in January.
> >
> > John C.
> >
> >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Chuck" <chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:kVvJc.7785$vD6.6841@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
How long will the GAIT sytem be working and when it is
> conpletely useless (if that happens) how good will the phones be. As I
> understand it they work on both systems with out many of the bells and
> whistles of the straight GSM phones. Will I be "stuck" with this phone
for
> another 2 years? Perhaps that is a good thing.
>
> Chuck
>

As I understand it, the phones will not become obsolete, as there is no
"GAIT System" per se. It's just that the GAIT phones are able to work on
all of the currently available Cingular networks. If TDMA and/or AMPS ever
go away you will still have GSM 850 & 1900. I don't see a down side.

The T62u is supposed to be GPRS-capable, but it's not activated on my phone.
I don't believe the Nokia GAIT phone has GPRS. You can go to the
Sony-Ericsson web site for the specs on the T62u.

Bob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<chucknstacey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:TzhIc.15$w91.3@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> I currently have a TDMA phone and service. However, it is a changing
world
> and services are "upgrading" and phones are too, but according to the maps
> in the central Louisiana area, the GSM market does not look favorable.
Does
> anyone have any experience with Cingular GSM in this area? I see the GAIT
> System offers the coverage but the phones are less than desirable to say
the
> least. I think this is a discouraging idea to steer people away from this
> short time fix of converting from TDMA to GSM. If you are in rural areas
> will you still have coverage or is that an extra charge under GSM?

Cingular is transitioning to 850 Mhz GSM (from AT&T), and is getting rid of
1900 Mhz (selling the spectrum to T-Mobile). The GSM coverage isn't as good
as 800 Mhz CDMA of course, but with a dual band (850/1900) GSM phone you'll
be all right in the urban areas. The problem is when you go outside the
urban areas. CDMA and TDMA is available in many rural areas where GSM hasn't
been deployed, and of course AMPS is even more places.

I wouldn't go to GSM at this juncture, unless you get a GAIT phone.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <nRJJc.4576$Qu5.612@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

> CDMA and TDMA is available in many rural areas where GSM hasn't
> been deployed, and of course AMPS is even more places.

If you compare Cingular's native GSM coverage to Sprint's native CDMA
coverage you'll find Cingular covers more. On Cingular for instance you
can drive from New Orleans to Los Angeles along I-10 and not have 100's
of miles of NO COVERAGE that Sprint will honor you with.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-E47C4A.06074116072004@news06.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <nRJJc.4576$Qu5.612@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>
> > CDMA and TDMA is available in many rural areas where GSM hasn't
> > been deployed, and of course AMPS is even more places.
>
> If you compare Cingular's native GSM coverage to Sprint's native CDMA
> coverage you'll find Cingular covers more. On Cingular for instance you
> can drive from New Orleans to Los Angeles along I-10 and not have 100's
> of miles of NO COVERAGE that Sprint will honor you with.

When I'm travelling through a rural area I don't really care if the
coverage is native or not (especially on Verizon where they have
included coverage in most areas). Nor do I care if the coverage is
AMPS-only. What I do care about is no coverage at all. I visit many
places with no GSM coverage, and do this many times a year. Last year
I would have had no coverage at all for nine days, as I was visiting
Alaska where there was no GSM coverage (or iDEN). I go to Yosemite at
least twice a year, AMPS only. I go hiking many times a year ten miles
out of Silicon Valley, no GSM.

I have no doubt that in 5-10 years GSM-only will be viable for me, but
not now.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <4f153f94.0407161434.26317117@posting.google.com>,
scharf@hotmail.com (Steven Scharf) wrote:

> "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> news:<rmarkoff-E47C4A.06074116072004@news06.east.earthlink.net>...
> > In article <nRJJc.4576$Qu5.612@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> > "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
> >
> > > CDMA and TDMA is available in many rural areas where GSM hasn't
> > > been deployed, and of course AMPS is even more places.
> >
> > If you compare Cingular's native GSM coverage to Sprint's native CDMA
> > coverage you'll find Cingular covers more. On Cingular for instance you
> > can drive from New Orleans to Los Angeles along I-10 and not have 100's
> > of miles of NO COVERAGE that Sprint will honor you with.
>
> When I'm travelling through a rural area I don't really care if the
> coverage is native or not (especially on Verizon where they have
> included coverage in most areas). Nor do I care if the coverage is
> AMPS-only. What I do care about is no coverage at all. I visit many
> places with no GSM coverage, and do this many times a year. Last year
> I would have had no coverage at all for nine days, as I was visiting
> Alaska where there was no GSM coverage (or iDEN). I go to Yosemite at
> least twice a year, AMPS only. I go hiking many times a year ten miles
> out of Silicon Valley, no GSM.
>
> I have no doubt that in 5-10 years GSM-only will be viable for me, but
> not now.

Check out a map of I-10 from Louisiana to California and you'll see what
a fiction Sprint's National coverage is.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS