Gnex worth it at $390?

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
So I'm debating whether or not to buy a Gnex straight from Google for use on my T-Mobile Line. My sister jacked my upgrade so I'm not eligible for contract pricing for another year and a half or so and was looking at the Gnex.

Straight from Google, with shipping and sales tax it will run me ~$390. Main reason I want the phone is cause my current phone (HTC G2) is getting old and weird problems are happening with the keyboard. Also, the Gnex would be able to emulate many games (gba, snes, n64) that my G2 can't handle and I would love to have those on my daily college commute.

Do you guys think $390 for the Gnex is worth it? Should I wait out for the next nexus model? Not really sure what to do.

PS: Another reason I'd like the nexus is because it is penta-band and in the near future if I move off my parent's contract line and get a prepaid, I may go with AT&T's smart-talk option. To my knowledge there arent many other pentaband phones that get the 4g hspa+ on both tmobile and att.

Solution
Well, if you cannot wait to upgrade, then the Nexus is probably your best bet. They are already working on the new Nexus, but it certainly won't be as cheap as the Galaxy Nexus. Sorry to basically reiterate what I just said, but this really depends on how much you want a newer phone. Is it not possible to take your sister's upgrade when it comes around?

samuraimastr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Well, if you cannot wait to upgrade, then the Nexus is probably your best bet. They are already working on the new Nexus, but it certainly won't be as cheap as the Galaxy Nexus. Sorry to basically reiterate what I just said, but this really depends on how much you want a newer phone. Is it not possible to take your sister's upgrade when it comes around?

Solution

samuraimastr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

I'm fairly sure the next Nexus won't blow the current one out of the water, it's been rumored to only be an incremental spec upgrade to the current model, but waiting for it to come out might drive the price of the current one down further, if Google decides to still sell it. As for expense, you really won't find any off contract smartphone with the features and power the Nexus has within $200 or so of it. So again: how much do you want a new phone?

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
yeah i saw some of the new rumors, i think i'll just wait it out. Either the new nexus (nexuses/nexii if rumors of multiple hardware partners are true) and pick up a galaxy nexus cheap or get one of those. thanks for the answer