Gold Apple Watch, Like All Jewelry, is a Rip-Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barantos1

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Gold, Silver, Platinum. All have value as they can be used for medical items, electronic equipment or for their chemical properties.

An old Tag Heuer or Rolex will continue to function for years. The apple watch will function for a year at most before it is useless.

Consider it in the form of Musical instruments. A classic well made violin continues to grow in value and can be used for decades or more(Classic Wristwatch). A gold casio Keyboard quickly becomes outdated when new technology comes out. (Apple Watch)

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I'd have to be running out of ideas on how to spend my money before I give 10 grand on a watch, but to give 17 grand on an iwatch I'd have to run out of brains.

Anonymoosee

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Subjective much?

There are more then enough people who are willing to invest in a fashion accessory and don't care about tech or any of the things you have put on your list.

It is ok that you feel this way about it, but it might be more ethical to keep it as a opinion instead of spewing this as 'truth'

Never4Nothing

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
We all know that people will buy it for whatever reason. Plus someone's going to diamond encrust them and sell it for millions of dollars each... which people must be buying because they keep diamond encrusting thing. $17,000 is cheap compared to millions of $$$. So get them while they're HOT. Before they're ALL gone. In all seriousness, what have we become when over spending makes us feel better?

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I have a Breitling - love it - it was expensive. But I agree with the article, this "watch" will be nearly useless within 2 years. My Breitling? Worth every penny for decades. It is a true work of art not a flash in the pan tech toy. And my disdain for this toy comes from a long-time iPhone lover. This watch is a waste.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
People don't realize a lot of rich people don't buy luxury things for its value. Some people don't buy a luxury watches (btw, $17000 is nothing when it comes to luxury watches) because it will go up in value as an investment. They buy them just simply because they CAN. I call them the "screw you" items.

"What? You don't like my $3K T-shirt? Screw you, I can afford it and you can't!"

Note: Edited for language by moderators

rdl1972

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
The biggest problem with the Watch Edition is that it is essentially the same as the least expensive model tech wise. So essentially Apple is guilty of running a high tech gold scam on their loyal fan base, in poor taste ? Sorry Apple I just don't get this one at all and this is coming from a loyalist.

rdl1972

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
The biggest problem with the Watch Edition is that it is essentially the same as the least expensive model tech wise. So essentially Apple is guilty of running a high tech gold scam on their loyal fan base, in poor taste ? Sorry Apple I just don't get this one at all and this is coming from a loyalist.

Never4Nothing

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
People don't realize a lot of rich people don't buy luxury things for its value. Some people don't buy a luxury watches (btw, $17000 is nothing when it comes to luxury watches) because it will go up in value as an investment. They buy them just simply because they CAN. I call them the "screw you" items.

"What? You don't like my $3K T-shirt? Screw you, I can afford it and you can't!"

"Screw you" items are usually bought by the kids of the parent that actually made the money. I would never waste money that I earned, whereas my kids love buying things because they can. We parents are at fault as well because we let our kids buy expensive needless things because theyTHINK it makes the happy, but it is what it is...

Note: Edited for language by moderators

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
The Apple Watch Bill of Materials is like $25 MAX. They charge $350 for it. That's a 100X markup, or 1000% markup. I have never seen apple markup the price of something like this. Usually it's a healthy 300% like the iphone and iPad but not for the watch. Gotta pay for that R&D ya'll.

Grognak

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Worst thing is, as some people have pointed out, the gold on the watch isn't even pure. It's an alloy of roughly 75% gold and the rest is ceramics and trace amounts of other metals. And most importantly, even if it was pure, the gold on the watch wouldn't be worth anywhere near the $9000 premium Apple makes you pay.

But hey, "lookit da shiny" > logic.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Subjective much?

There are more then enough people who are willing to invest in a fashion accessory and don't care about tech or any of the things you have put on your list.

It is ok that you feel this way about it, but it might be more ethical to keep it as a opinion instead of spewing this as 'truth'
Subjective much?

Subjective much?

PLEASE tell me you did not just quote ethics when it comes to being a bad steward of money when there are starving people in the world. The ethics of having that knowledge, and having wealth, but spending it on oneself is not selfish but ETHICALLY wrong. Thanks. One could say that of ANY frivolous spending, but we all know money is the root of evil and capitalism is disgusting. So I guess we are all unethical and immoral.

Haravikk

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
This has been true for a long time with ridiculously expensive watches that offer no true value over a decent high-precision $100 watch (or even a cheaper one). Idiots with too much money will always look for ways to rub people's noses in the fact that they are being paid too much money, that's just how human greed and hubris works.

My biggest problem is that I just don't like the Apple Watch at all; Apple's strength is in delivering focused, tightly integrated devices. Offering gold and silver colouring options if fine, but the Apple should really have made only a single high-quality segmented metal band and placed batteries in the segments, this way they could have had a sleek, stylish smart watch with good battery life. Instead they've produced a ridiculously chunky, round-edged watch that looks unbelievably childish, and then offered a wide range of unappealing bands to put your power-hungry watch onto.

It really doesn't seem like an Apple product to me at all. I'm sure plenty of people will still buy it "just because", and rich idiots will waste massive sums on them as status icons. But as a product I really despair at the poor design choices made here. I'm not saying iPhones aren't over-priced too, but the design was good when it came out, and has been improved and improved upon, but this just holds no appeal to me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.