GoldenEye Gets Wii Remake; Old Bond Gets Cut

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]I rate Goldeneye 64 to be one of the best games of all time, unfortunately the Wii version will probably not do it justice.[/citation]
Goldeneye 64 was a great game for the era, but remaking the game (quite literally) is a bad idea because gaming tech has progressed passed basic 3D shooters. Modern Shooters are quite a bit better. Our standards for what is good and what is not have gone up. Goldeneye if released today would be laughed out of the market.

The only thing that Goldeneye did that I wish they would do today was the surface levels where the world was much more open than most games today. Granted, most games would be penalized by journalist for having "bland and empty" space.

CoD4:MW is a much better game than Goldeneye, but for what Goldeneye did people will remember it as a better game.

I hate to even say this, but a game with just split screen multiplayer and a short campaign wouldn't get much traction today. Gamers expect 4 player co-op, longer campaigns, online multi-player (split screen optional), as well as DLC map packs and other such features not to mention that now games require cover systems, more realistic feel (graphics is such a dirty word... but a great game has great art style and audio visual presence. I don't just mean polygon counts, although those help), better AI, etc.

If Goldeneye:Wii is basically Goldeneye 64, then they should immediately change development and make it a (large) virtual console game and charge $15 for it. Otherwise, i think it could reflect poorly on the good name that is Goldeneye.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]preciousl[/nom]Wait... Wait... so it is a new '007 Goldeneye'? However, not 'Goldeneye' but rather '007' and they decided to call it 'Goldeneye' instead of continuing with a '007' franchise? Sounds to me like something is lost in english-japanese translation here? Goldeneye is one story of James Bond. Once you have moved on to a new story about 007 you are moving on with 007 not Goldeneye.[/citation]
If you watched the movie and watched the trailer, you will see why they call it Goldeneye. It's pretty obvious if you ask me. If you don't see it, go watch the movie and then watch the trailer again.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
They idiots. GoldenEye = Pierce B. Not Daniel C. Get it right.
Also the graphics (as expected) is crap. Gameplay may be good though.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
One last comment (sorry about the triple post) the reason for using Daniel Craig and not Peirce Brosnan is likely tied to the owners of the "Goldeneye" name (and likely the James Bond name) probably don't have rights to use Peirce Brosnan's image without paying him again. I know that's not the answer gamers like to hear, but it's probably the reason.

Daniel Craig however is still under contract (sadly). Craig = worst bond ever.

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
[citation][nom]iNiNe5[/nom]nothing against Daniel Craig but Pierce Brosnan = GoldenEye[/citation]

Too true. This game might be good, but it'll never be as great as the original.

jrjayce

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Taking my wii back to Costco...At first read of the title of this article, I thought maybe I am making a mistake as GoldenEye was AMAZING.....but NOPE this game looks to further validate my decision. It looks like an extension/copy graphically and story-wise...this does not get my wanting to buy this game in the least...for that...Boo Nintendo....you got my hopes ups and dropped them once again..shame on you.

G

Sick of idiots complaining about the game because they are using Daniel Craig instead of Pierce. Apparently none of you remember playing the original game, considering the model didn't look ANYTHING LIKE Pierce Brosnan anyways. LoL

With that said, it is highly doubtful that they will make a game as good as the original, considering nobody that worked on the original is making this game I don't think. They probably don't even know what made the first game so good int he first place and are only making this purely as a name drop.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]San Pedro[/nom]Goldeneye: Source[/citation]

On the *possibly to be* Source 2 engine! Maybe that's the big surprise, or did they already release that?

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I was hoping for a virtual console port of this game. The exact game. Shortly after the success of the original there were many James bond games but none of them came close to the original. I really hope they stay true to the original, it was just nearly a perfect game. Just a graphics overhaul is all it needs.

G

Daniel Craig was used in place of Pierce Brosnan due to licensing issues. It's a miracle this has come out at all, due to licensing issues. This has been something that has been in the works for years, and the only issue (again I'll say it - licensing) has been _just_ skirted here, enough to give us a faithful look at an old game, and enough of an update to satisfy anyone who _truly_ understands what a trial it is to release any game in the first place.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]On the *possibly to be* Source 2 engine! Maybe that's the big surprise, or did they already release that?[/citation]
The *big* surprise from Valve at E3 was Portal 2 for the PS3 and Steamworks coming to the Playstation Network.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]fusion_gtx[/nom]Too true. This game might be good, but it'll never be as great as the original.[/citation]
That's just it, all they need to do is directly port it over and be done with it. No need in messing with something that was a classic from release day.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Daniel Craig is the greatest James Bond who ever lived. It's a total shame that some inexperienced dumbass was hired to direct Daniel Craig's second Bond movie. If they come out with another Bond movie maybe they'll hire someone who actually has some brains and knows what they're doing.[/citation]
I personally don't really like Craig. He's too much of an action hero and not the suave secret agent type. Not that he's that bad, just not as good as (IMO) Connery, Brosnan, etc were.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]God it looks like its running in a nintendo 64 emulator. I hope they improve the graphics a bit or ill just drag the N64 out of the closet.[/citation]

I just bought a 64 just to play the old golden eye. Man that controller sucks. It is so damn hard two use after you get used to dual joysticks. I ended up not playing it. I remember when I was good at it. Cant imagine how though.

Status
Not open for further replies.