Good battery for custom laptop?

walboy96

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I"m new to custom builds and have started working on a new project. I was wondering if there was a laptop battery on the market that is strong enough to run a ZOTAC ZT-50708-10M GeForce GTX 560 video card. I've read that the video card "requires" a 500 watt supply. I have been looking at a few batteries, but can't seem to figure out how many watt's they put out. I can only see the WH(watt hours?) on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Why WH and not simply W? Simply because you are using a battery and it's power diminishes with time and use.
Okay, to figure out how many watts a battery is capable of putting out, you would take the amperage of the battery and multiply it by the battery voltage VxA=W. Lets take an "average" laptop battery 11.1V 7.8Ah (usually shown as 11.1V 7800mah) which gives us a total of 86.5WH (which is then usually rounded down, so 85WH). Your graphics card choice "consumes" approximately 200W under load which would mean the graphics card alone would drain the battery in less than 1/2 hour of use (85W/200W = .425 hours). There is another consideration when dealing with battery power and that is the battery's ability to deliver that power continually (called a C rating - only readily available for lithium polymer batteries) due to factors such as heat generation and cell architecture.
While the above is slightly inaccurate it is only so for simplicity, hope it helps...

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
One huge problem. That card is for desktops only.

Also,the biggest problem with trying to build a laptop I've learned is by the time you buy all the parts, you could have had it built by an OEM cheaper and easier. I did a quick Google search, and the shell for most laptops is $800 alone. For $800, you can buy an already built laptop.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Yeah, you can't build a laptop... And like what's already been pointed out, trying to cram a desktop video card in there isn't gonna work.

What is it exactly you're trying to accomplish?

walboy96

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Thanks, that's what I've been trying to figure out. That clears things up quite a bit. And to you other guys, I've got the case part covered. I'm molding my own and am building it to specs so everything will fit inside of the case. Might work, might not. I'm going to give it try though.

Awesome! Take Pictures.
I will add here to allow for airflow around parts for heat dissipation...

walboy96

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Might take a month or so, but I'll post as soon as I get it up and running!