Good Gaming Headphones (Not Headset) Under $100

SMURFATAR

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
I need help finding a good pair of headphones under or around $100. I'm looking for ones that don't have a mic attached like Razer or Steel Series headsets. I will be attaching a ModMic to it, but they still need to be open drivers and not closed. Headphones with portable/phone capabilities are a plus, but not a must. I personally like a good amount of base, but that's just me.

Solution
the hd518/558/598 lineup are based around the same drivers but with different design and build quality giving them a slightly different sound. the h518 has a bit more bass and lesser soundstage while the 598 is more neutral with more soundstage. build quality increases as you go up. the hd558 is nice because it comes with different pads and is a bit more comfortable than the 518.
the hd518/558/598 lineup are based around the same drivers but with different design and build quality giving them a slightly different sound. the h518 has a bit more bass and lesser soundstage while the 598 is more neutral with more soundstage. build quality increases as you go up. the hd558 is nice because it comes with different pads and is a bit more comfortable than the 518.

Solution

SMURFATAR

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014

i wear prescription glasses always, so sacrificing bass for comfort seems to be the way to go. and what do you mean by "soundstage"?

basically soundstage is depth of field. for instance a small soundstage is like listening to a band in a bar room (sound appears to be right at your ears) while large soundstages are more like listening in an ampitheater or in a park (sound has distinct distances from your ears and can sound like it is from varied distances).

more soundstage is generally considered good for gaming since it allows you better spatial awareness.

SMURFATAR

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014

ok cool. do u think the modmic will fit on the 558s or attach good?

SMURFATAR

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014

thank you for your help, but i have also seen audio-technica headphones too. are they any good?

audiotechnica ad500x and ad700x are nice as well and have a wider soundstage but i did not recommend them because you say you love bass and they are bass light headphones. you do not want the m50 for gaming given the small soundstage and small earcups which may interfere with your glasses. the ad500x and 700x should be fine with glasses if you dont mind the 3dwing style headband and lack of bass.

it should be noted that open cans in general normally lack much bass impact.

while far above your budget considering you need an amp (headphones are only $165 but a decent amp is $100-120) but the dt990 has significant bass impact for open cans while still having good soundstaging and bright treble. they need an amplifier though which pushes the budget up to about $300 for a headphone and amp. sort of the best of both worlds i guess.

the hd518 and hd558 fill the gap between products like the ad500x/700x and dt990 as more neutral easy listening headphones.

SMURFATAR

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014

i think ill go with some 558s, but are the 598s considerably better because the price is definitely considerably higher.

SMURFATAR

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014

ok sweet ill get the 558s. thx for all the help. :)