Solved! Good laptop for 550-650$ for college student

jpete15

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
1. What is your budget?
I'm in the U.S., and looking to spend about 550-650$.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inches at least.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Standard.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
This will mostly be used at home but I do like to move it around the house often, and occasionally take it with me to travel. I don't often take this with me to class/work.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not very concerned about battery life as I'm not opposed to having it plugged in often.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I watch a lot of fitness videos on my laptop and since I'm working out using my laptop, I need a nice display where the image is still strong from a lot of different angles.

In addition, I use my laptop to browse the internet, typically with a lot of tabs open at once. I'm usually browsing the internet, typing up something on a word document, and listening to music/youtube at the same time so my main concern is that a laptop can handle this smoothly.
I also need a bit of storage for storing documents and pictures.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
My current laptop is a bit under 300 GB and that seems like enough.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Several years (my current laptop is over 6 years old and still doing pretty well as I took good care of it).

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I haven't owned enough laptops/desktops to prefer one brand over another, so I'm open to anything that fits.

13. What country do you live in?
United States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Like I said, I'm really just interested in a laptop that has a good (or great) display for playing videos, and can handle having a lot of browser tabs open.
Any recommendations are welcome!

Solution

That one is also good if you are in light gaming and advantage in that laptop is that it comes with discrete GPU, comes with SSD instead of HDD and processor is also better than the i3 one, backlit keyboard.. if you are willing to spend around $550 than you should buy it without thinking

jpete15

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for the recommendation!
Do you know how that compares to the Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG? That's the other one that I was considering.

Rahul_153

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

That one is also good if you are in light gaming and advantage in that laptop is that it comes with discrete GPU, comes with SSD instead of HDD and processor is also better than the i3 one, backlit keyboard.. if you are willing to spend around $550 than you should buy it without thinking

Solution

jpete15

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

I thought it was a good choice too. That or getting a Dell Latitude E5570 from the Dell outlet which was suggested to me.