Good laptops with discrete video card

Eduardo Abarca

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Hi, i am looking for a good laptop with a discrete graphics card, preferably amd radeon. My current laptop started to freeze because of the cheap integrated video starting to fail. This laptop is a few years old and now it's time for me to get a new one before it completely breaks. My dad said he will get me a $300 laptop when the income taxes come, i don't know what that means but there is $300. I have $150 right now and i will get $40 in a few weeks. I don't know when income taxes is, but when it comes i will have $500 for my budget. Here is what i want:

- Graphics card and CPU: The laptop must have a quadcore A6 or A8 apu with the discrete graphics that is atleast a radeon 8000 series. If you can, find a laptop with an intel core i5 or i7 that has an nvidia discrete graphics card. The discrete graphics card must have at least 1gb or 2gb of video memory, not from the ram of the computer, with its own memory.

- RAM: The laptop must have 4gb of ram or more.

-Hard drive: I don't really care, as long as it has at least 200gb.

- Other important features: I want it to be 15.6 inches. I don't really care if it has an optical drive. The battery life must be at least 4 hours on normal use. I don't really care about usb 3, as long as it has usb. If you can, keep it light and thin. It needs to be new, not used or refurbished. I don't really care if it has windows 8 or 7, put i perfer windows 7, i can work with windows 8. I might be able to squeeze my budget to $600.

I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDFEXWA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2UJORHUGXCOZ4&coliid=IHXZA2FYGYX5G
but i am not sure if the video card is discrete.

The only games i will be playing are minecraft and kerbal space program, maybe other ones too.

Solution
Look for something used or refurbished and do take your time before you are sure about which laptop out there that you want. That Asus is fast but it won't last build wise, you could score something that is much better built and looks great but still costly.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
You are not going to find such a laptop in that range new that has a discrete gpu let alone one that can really game, if you were looking in the second hand market the task is easy but comes with a lot of risks. Avoid anything from HP/Compaq and anything that easy break, I see laptops all the time come in with cracked screens and screens that have latterly broken off.

When it comes to AMD laptops if the gpu has a G next to the model then it is integrated but it is nothing like the IGPs of old as it is part of the cpu. They can game when tweaked but look for a A10 as those are the best.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

^^Refurbished

Might as well post links like this though because, nothing New will show up under these parameters.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I also would rather have the one Znoxz linked to.... if I was forced to game on a laptop... :shudders:

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

I have gamed on a lot worse when I had no choice (house fire Q.Q) but I prefer quality over anything else.

Znoxz

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

For under 700 a refurbish ASUS G46VW is the best I can find. I don't think you can find a good quality laptop with a great gpu and cpu for gaming under 700.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Look for something used or refurbished and do take your time before you are sure about which laptop out there that you want. That Asus is fast but it won't last build wise, you could score something that is much better built and looks great but still costly.

Solution