Good Price for a Gaming Notebook?

tvh

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I currently have a Dell Vostro 1500 that is a little more then 2 months old that I purchased for college. I purchased also a targus cooler station and a Mobile Edge Notebook carrying backpack. All these amount to around over $2,000. I want to sell it. Nothing is wrong with it (I'm a Dell Technical support agent and so I know how to take care and baby my notebook) and everything is purfect. I just don't have the need as I once had for a notebook in college, and I want to build a new desktop system. Now I'm not solicitating here at Toms hardware but I am curious to know if selling this notebook around $1,600 dollars is a good deal or not. This is what it has and what is included in the package that I'm selling on eBay:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (32-bit)
15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT
High Definition Audio 2.0
Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
MEDIA DIRECT Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software
Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Dell Travel Remote Control, IR

Microsoft® Works 8.5 Does NOT include MS Word

WARRANTY & SERVICE 3Yr Ltd Warranty and Next Business Day On-Site Svc
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SERVICE 3 Year CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service

*Also include - Targus cooling station with stand

**Also included - Mobile Edge Notebook carrying backpack supports up to 17" LCD notebooks

Am I asking too much? Or too little? Please let me know.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
You're asking too much IMO.

You can configure a new one for around the same price you're asking, minus the cooling station and backpack, which most people would pass on anyway if they had to pay extra.

The Vostro line is being sold at a discount and as a Dell tech support agent, you should be well aware of that. I think the discount was around $400 last I checked.

The "buy it now" value of your computer (similar specs) according to ebay listings is somewhere between $850 and $1200. Good Luck.

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
How is the build quality of the vostro? and how is it when compared to the Thinkpad notebooks?

For me it is a toss up between a vostro 1400 or a thinkpad T61 I can configure similar setups/ similar price on both sites.

tvh

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
personally I would go the vostro line of products, that is what I am more familiar with. Being a Dell Technical support agent doesn't mean we know any sells of Dell, we don't sell anything to cx just fix their computers. On the Dell website I've built the exact same vostro 1500 with all the same hardware and such. It came out over 1,800. ibleet, don't worry I'm not going to argue with you and it does make since that most people would pass over the bag and cooler. I also have the premium warranty support for up to three years since September which is really nice to have. That added cost to the machine but it is well worth it (believe me, I work at Dell).

tvh

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Also if you were to go dell, go through their business line of p[roducts. They don't load as much crap on the machine and try to get you to use AOL.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Who cares what they load? I can easily format / reinstall OS...but I hear what you're saying. Regardless of everything else, ebay seems to set the standard, so my initial opinion stands, $850-$1200. If you expect to get close to what you paid, then you expect way too much.