Good US carrier for phone and wifi when traveling for over 2 months abroad

Oct 17, 2018
I'm with TMobile in US and pay for a global plan where I can use the phone. As I was working abroad in France and England for 2 months, using my Iphone for managing my work here in the US, I had to make a lot of calls. I used WhatsApp, FB and FB Messenger when I had good internet connection but when I was out of good wifi range, I used Google Phone which wasn't as reliable as being on the TMobile roaming network but worked better than the internet based phones. TMobile charged me $427 for calls made in the month of Aug and threatened to cut me off if I didn't use Wifi instead of their phone. Odd that they not only charged me a hefty amount but then threatened me for buying their service and paying handsomely for it. As I didn't want to change my SIM for a local SIM, I was afraid that changing SIMs (which has happened in the past) changed my US number to the local SIM number. I didn't want some of my clients knowing that I was not in US if they called me on my US number and it didn't ring. TMobile has been wonderful for the 5 years I've had it. They charged me for using their services internationally and I've been fine with that. This time they not only charged me a lot but also threatened to discontinue my service. Sheesh...

Next time, have your calls to the US number forwarded to the number where you are and your clients in the States won't know you're out of the country. In France and Britain, a pay-as-you-go Lebaro SIM will work in both countries.

Just don't forget to shield the outgoing number when you return calls. Tha's a big giveaway.