Google Accuses Microsoft, Nokia of Patent Conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Step 1, fire Nokia's CEO.
Step 2, hire new CEO, "incidentally" former Microsoft Manager
Step 3, turn former #1 phone manufacturer capable of producing great hardware into Microsoft's delivery boy
Step 4, Oh, nobody buys Wondoze smartphones, oh, Nokia is losing market share, oh, but Microsoft is merely not gaining market share, so it's OK
Step 5, Let's involve Nokia in large scale abusing of wicked sick patent systems, that allow to patent "showing animated icon in browser's loading page".

What I don't get is, what the hell are Nokia's shareholders thinking?!?!?! Stop idiotic "microsoft only" policy, produce god damn android phones, focus on hardware, let consumer choose OS. I recall YOU'VE PREVIEWD multi platform phone, where is that thing!?!?

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Step 1, fire Nokia's CEO.Step 2, hire new CEO, "incidentally" former Microsoft ManagerStep 3, turn former #1 phone manufacturer capable of producing great hardware into Microsoft's delivery boyStep 4, Oh, nobody buys Wondoze smartphones, oh, Nokia is losing market share, oh, but Microsoft is merely not gaining market share, so it's OKStep 5, Let's involve Nokia in large scale abusing of wicked sick patent systems, that allow to patent "showing animated icon in browser's loading page".What I don't get is, what the hell are Nokia's shareholders thinking?!?!?! Stop idiotic "microsoft only" policy, produce god damn android phones, focus on hardware, let consumer choose OS. I recall YOU'VE PREVIEWD multi platform phone, where is that thing!?!?[/citation]

Dude, I have Nokia phone. I had Nokia phone before that and Nokia phone before it and one more before that... and so on...
I am not getting any Nokia now and maybe never again and certainly none with M$ logo on it!

kohvipaus

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Nokia won't touch Android that I can tell you, Meego phones are a possibility in the future but not right now as most their efforts go to WP7&8.

As soon as Nokia goes the track of Android I'll sure as hell will sell my shares as quick as I can.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The search engine giant said that Nokia is betraying its previous commitments to open-source software -- which uses collective engineering -- by colluding with Microsoft and Mosaid.
Since when is this against the law? People are allowed to change their minds so why couldn't companies?

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Even if nokia phones will be a little more god than competition, even if windows phone 8 will be a little more god than android, i will never buyit because they play dirty

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Wait a minute.... Isn't Google purchasing Motorola mobility who conveniently own thousands or patents... I smell a hypocritical troll here!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]Wait a minute.... Isn't Google purchasing Motorola mobility who conveniently own thousands or patents... I smell a hypocritical troll here![/citation]

As they say in Japan: "business is war".
And we all know that everything is fair game in love and war :)

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Google just filed a formal complaint with the European Commission stating that Microsoft and Nokia have conspired to use their patents against smartphone industry rivals.
1) Everyone in the smartphone industry could be considered rivals.
2) Smartphone oriented patents are generally violated by smartphone manufacturers.
In conclusion, of course they are going to use their patents against smartphone industry rivals. If you don't like it, don't violate the patent. If the patent is stupid, contest it. If you think the patent industry is broken (like many), you should probably do something to raise awareness so it can be fixed. Baring more information to the contrary, it appears Microsoft and Nokia are playing by the rules. If you don't like the rules, say so. Making statements like this to attack other companies does nothing to fix the real problem.

Google described its filing as a pre-emptive measure against a developing legal hazard for Android partners. The company wants to prevent a possible threat that could push its partners into using Windows Phone instead.
If the patents being violated are trivial, you don't really have anything to worry about. If you are really so concerned that partners will be pushed into using Windows Phone instead, then a better pre-emptive measure would have been to work around the patents rather than wait until you are caught.

The search engine giant said that Nokia is betraying its previous commitments to open-source software -- which uses collective engineering -- by colluding with Microsoft and Mosaid.
It isn't about abandoning a commitment to Open Source. They abandoned a platform that they didn't see a future in (the wisdom of which is still in question). The platform they chose to move forward (right or wrong) was a closed source OS.

It's also betraying the protection of essential technologies from legal threats.
If they have FRAND patents that they are using improperly, name them. They deserve any negative publicity they get and should get nowhere in court. If this is pure speculation on your part, you deserve the negative publicity.

"Nokia and Microsoft are colluding to raise the costs of mobile devices for consumers ..."
Windows Phones and Nokia Windows phones in particular are currently among the cheaper smartphones out there. They don't really have the market share to push a price hike in mobile devices. Perhaps you meant Android devices.

"... creating patent trolls that side-step promises both companies have made,"
As a note, FRAND obligations move with the patent. They don't just disappear. So ... what promises are they trying to sidestep? I'll believe you and look into it. If you already have details, why should I search blindly. If you don't have any details, then this seems a lot like when politicians throw out an accusations at opponents during campaigning to divert peoples attention from their own actions. Though, they seem more practiced at it as they actually give enough detail to get people interested.

Sorry Google, but unless you are willing to cough up more details to the contrary, this sounds not unlike a kindergartener who copied another kids assignment and got mad at the other kid when he told on him. I suspect the complaint isn't as ridiculous as it sounds here, but the burden of proof is on you.

Cheeba Hawk

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Good. Android needs to die. Its such a POS OS. Don't know why its so popular. These android phones have all this buffness like dual core 1.5 and still laggy as shit.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]What I don't get is, what the hell are Nokia's shareholders thinking?!?!?! Stop idiotic "microsoft only" policy, produce god damn android phones, focus on hardware, let consumer choose OS. I recall YOU'VE PREVIEWD multi platform phone, where is that thing!?!?[/citation]Nokia didn't want to me another "me too" Android handset maker. Their own platform was dying, and couldn't keep up. I do have some issues with Nokia and their handling of things. The first is that they abandoned their old platforms too quickly, and discussed the transition and abandonment of said platforms freely. This destroyed sales of older models. Second they took way too long to produce a competent WP7 device, and this cost them not only sales but also seems to have hurt carrier adoption.

ed_tumb

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I'm so sick about this "patent", "copyright" and same kind bull"S"...
Imagine one day one giant corporate will have a patent for oxygen or water or resources that are very essential for human life... that time we have to pay to keep alive??? sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.