Google: Apple, Facebook Pose No Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Saying that having healthy competition between Android and iOS is good for everyone (consumers and the two companies) is not just a cliche, but it's actually the case. That the two have pushed each other to improve their respective products over the past year puts both in a position to weather the introduction of MSFT's WP7. I'm not sure that having three distinct smartphone platforms is sustainable, but there is probably room for 2.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Apple's entire business model relies on being able to sell overpriced crap, I mean products, to a smaller moron, I mean premium, market. Google makes bank mostly on advertising, which relies on mass volume.

Google can give a damn about Apple.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Strange that Jobs said that the Android market[citation][nom]Computerrock1[/nom]Woohoo! Shove that foot into steve job's @$$![/citation]
So I fail to see how he was shoving that foot. First, Jobs was invited to the conference, and second, Schmidt said that the market was big enough for both the iPhone and the Android. Didn't seem like he was trying to shove any foot into anyone's ass to me.
Besides, I'm sure Google loves that the iPhone ships with a few of Google's apps.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Strange that Jobs said that the Android market[/citation]
Ignore that, lack of editing fail.
[citation][nom]walt526[/nom]Saying that having healthy competition between Android and iOS is good for everyone (consumers and the two companies) is not just a cliche, but it's actually the case. That the two have pushed each other to improve their respective products over the past year puts both in a position to weather the introduction of MSFT's WP7. I'm not sure that having three distinct smartphone platforms is sustainable, but there is probably room for 2.[/citation]
For the most part, I think your correct. But I do think there is room for three.
Same that your post will get marked down there (probably mine too). Gotten to the point that people on this site seem to want to eradicate Apple off the face of the planet.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]But I do think there is room for three.[/citation]
How about RIM? Nokia with Symbian and MeeGo? HP with the Palm/WebOS acquisition?

I believe there's room for a lot more than three platforms.

The great things about mobile platforms, as things currently stand, is that they're little more than service delivery system. As long as they offer the functionality and performance people want the masses couldn't care less about the platform. After all, they're just phones... right?

Overall this is a significant advantage over traditional computers where we have a lot of platform bias and exclusive software. Ideally I'd rather the desktop and notebook platforms learn from the mobile ones than vice versa.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Ignore that, lack of editing fail.For the most part, I think your correct. But I do think there is room for three.Same that your post will get marked down there (probably mine too). Gotten to the point that people on this site seem to want to eradicate Apple off the face of the planet.[/citation]
I think Apple is just fine and their products are just fine or the best solution for some people, just not for me. I wouldn't be opposed to the eradication of the fanbois and haters off the planet however. And that goes for all of em, MS, Linux, Apple, 360, PS3, Intel, AMD, etc fanbois, anyone who starts to view a product more as a way of life or religion because their device is the "One True Way" rather than just another tool is just silly.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]How about RIM? Nokia with Symbian and MeeGo? HP with the Palm/WebOS acquisition?I believe there's room for a lot more than three platforms.The great things about mobile platforms, as things currently stand, is that they're little more than service delivery system. .[/citation]

The problem is.. in these days, smartphones are getting like small computers. Basic functions like phone calling. web browsing are never a selling point for the high end smartphones. When the hardware spec are getting closer, the size and quality of its app market are getting more and more important for the buyers (non-business market). In that case, just like the DirectX vs OpenGL, Windows vs OS X vs Linux, or even XBox 360 vs PS3, too much of plateform wars actually hurt the developers and customers.

So do we have room for 3? Maybe... but definitely not 4, 5, or even more.... or somebody will have to leave the high end market soon.

By the way, while Apple is fighting for its own pie.. Google is being samrt by not only owning the google pie but also getting slices from the Apple pie....

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]So do we have room for 3? Maybe... but definitely not 4, 5, or even more.... or somebody will have to leave the high end market soon.[/citation]
I don't believe that comparison is entirely accurate.

Smartphone platforms are more akin to Linux distros than anything else, offering basically the same features in different packaging. Maybe things will change but as long as basic interoperability, forced through the commonality of the services provided, is maintained there's likely always going to be room for more.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I like this posts, I will love more competition too, not just Apple and Google and competition that could stand for "ever" or as long as it possibly can. I don't want 2 or 3 companies running everything. Sometimes one company could lead with a product and sometimes another one. Very naive, but lets see how this goes.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I think Apple is just fine and their products are just fine or the best solution for some people, just not for me. I wouldn't be opposed to the eradication of the fanbois and haters off the planet however. And that goes for all of em, MS, Linux, Apple, 360, PS3, Intel, AMD, etc fanbois, anyone who starts to view a product more as a way of life or religion because their device is the "One True Way" rather than just another tool is just silly.[/citation]
Well said. I wish the anti-apple zealots would realize this instead of trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.