Google Buys Massive Building in NYC Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
One step closer to world domination. Find by me. I think they would do a better job than some of the idiots we had in office.

But, I want to see them push Chrome OS even hard towards the mainstream.

fobnicat

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Really? This story was on NPR a couple of weeks ago. Why is Tom's just now getting around to this story? Seems a little late considering it deals with GOOGLE, one of the largest tech companies around and Tom's is a tech website.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]fobnicat[/nom]Really? This story was on NPR a couple of weeks ago. Why is Tom's just now getting around to this story? Seems a little late considering it deals with GOOGLE, one of the largest tech companies around and Tom's is a tech website.[/citation]

You mean the story that was cited at the beginning of this article that Tom's already reported on? This was the final confirmation of the deal and how it ended up.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Holy crap that building is huge. If you look at the street view map go to the corner near the starbucks and start going down that ally. It goes on forever!

Nice job Google, movin on up!

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mleejr[/nom]Way to waste your stockholders hard earned cash on needless taxes and rent.[/citation]
Because it's easier to do business in a building than making your employees work from their car maybe? lol Seriously, where do you expect them to work from?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jskilnyk[/nom]One step closer to world domination. Find by me. I think they would do a better job than some of the idiots we had in office.But, I want to see them push Chrome OS even hard towards the mainstream.[/citation]

Really?

You want to use an OS that is limited in functionality and gives full control of your data to a third party (worse still, a third party with a notoriously poor privacy record...)? It's good for netbooks that can't exploit Windows fully anyway, but please don't drive the OS into mainstream desktops and notebooks...

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jskilnyk[/nom]One step closer to world domination. Find by me. I think they would do a better job than some of the idiots we had in office.But, I want to see them push Chrome OS even hard towards the mainstream.[/citation]

There are people who play risk.... And then there are people who play risk. :p

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Really?You want to use an OS that is limited in functionality and gives full control of your data to a third party (worse still, a third party with a notoriously poor privacy record...)? It's good for netbooks that can't exploit Windows fully anyway, but please don't drive the OS into mainstream desktops and notebooks...[/citation]

So, instead we should tell old grandma Sue "Use linux, it has millions of options, and things that you can do with it. It is secure, and you can even look at the code!"

Or, we can say "Use Windows... They are a well known company, have many product options, and pretty much get up and go."
--> As you turn on the computer, Windows asks you to download 1000 updates from the last 10 years. (And every week grandma asks, why windows has an update for a critical security problem).

And I could go on with the other OS's.... but in reality, choices are important, and every operating system has a use. "Cloud Computing" comes to mind, more and more people are leaving their stuff on the net, facebook, etc... How many times have you used or heard "TMI"!

Jsklnyk might have his own reasons for using it.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
And.......???? If it's going to employ a lot of people there...... then it's cool........ or else.... just a waste of money to show it's expenses.....

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dmwright[/nom]So, instead we should tell old grandma Sue "Use linux, it has millions of options, and things that you can do with it. It is secure, and you can even look at the code!" Or, we can say "Use Windows... They are a well known company, have many product options, and pretty much get up and go." --> As you turn on the computer, Windows asks you to download 1000 updates from the last 10 years. (And every week grandma asks, why windows has an update for a critical security problem).And I could go on with the other OS's.... but in reality, choices are important, and every operating system has a use. "Cloud Computing" comes to mind, more and more people are leaving their stuff on the net, facebook, etc... How many times have you used or heard "TMI"!Jsklnyk might have his own reasons for using it.[/citation]

For grandma it would indeed be a great OS (although I even doubt that - grandma already took the trouble to learn Windows, so she won't like having to relearn Chrome OS, no matter how simple it is). However, grandma is not the mainstream, which is where the person I replied to wanted it to go.

I'm perfectly aware Linux isn't for everyone (although Ubuntu is no harder to use than Windows these days), but Chrome OS isn't the way to go either for the mainstream either. That's reserved for OS'es that are full featured yet easy (Windows, Mac and Ubuntu mainly).

Besides, Chrome OS is not going to be adopted by grandma. It are tech aware people like you and me that are the first users of any sort of software. And how many of us like Chrome OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.