Google CEO Retracts Street View Privacy Joke

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I understand people's concerns, but as we've been saying again and again : there's no information on Street View that you can't get yourself. They are NOT taking pictures of you, your family or the inside of your house. If I want to go in your town, on your street, I will be able to do so and see the same thing I can see on Street View. Even worse, It will be in real-time while Google have got their pictures like 2 years ago.

If you're really really paranoïd, email Google and ask them to remove your house. But keep in mind that no one cares where you live, John Blake of 398 Elm Street, Deerfield Illinois.

G

I hate Google Streetview! Google knowingly drives down private roads even if they are labeled and photographs them. Do you know the only way you can get a private road removed? You have to send in a written letter to Google with photocopies of your drivers license and sworn statements to remove the data! And this is for your own property that they trespassed on! Google Street view should be banned in the US, who needs to see the pictures anyways? Just as long as you have the map. Also, they make it sound so easy, just go to our site and you can remove the picture, do you know how many pictures they take that include photos of just your house? A whole lot, you can spend hours just trying to report one at a time for them to remove a photo, you can't just outright say, remove all pictures that have my house in it, you have to specify the pictures one by one, they make it so that you want to just give up so they can continue to take control.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Eric Schmidt is a toad.

I'm still waiting for the day that Google is completely exposed as an unethical, greedy company that knows no boundaries when it comes to making a quick buck. Then I can laugh gleefully at all of the tools that put their misguided trust in Google. I'm thinking I've got about 2-5 years of waiting, but it will be worth it.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom].I'm a PC, and windows ME was my idea. In retrospect, I probably should have kept it to myself.[/citation]

LOL! +1

jetfire911

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
The biggest issue with this is that there are people who do need to keep their location a secret. It doesn't apply to most of us, but there are people hiding from people who wish to harm them. The posting of the unfiltered information without first soliciting for removals due to witness protection, battered spouses, etc. is where the problem lies. This will be far more of an issue when facial recognition searches become more viable online.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]Eric Schmidt is a toad.I'm still waiting for the day that Google is completely exposed as an unethical, greedy company that knows no boundaries when it comes to making a quick buck. Then I can laugh gleefully at all of the tools that put their misguided trust in Google. I'm thinking I've got about 2-5 years of waiting, but it will be worth it.[/citation]

Right, they would never do something like say, once they discovered they were collecting the data, they actually owned up and said "Um, sorry, our bad." they were the company that discovered and reported what happened.

A less ethical company would not even mention it, and profit from all those emails and data from users. Instead they brought attention to it.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]Right, they would never do something like say, once they discovered they were collecting the data, they actually owned up and said "Um, sorry, our bad." they were the company that discovered and reported what happened.A less ethical company would not even mention it, and profit from all those emails and data from users. Instead they brought attention to it.[/citation]

Google didn't bring attention to it. If they hadn't gotten busted doing it, they would have continued doing it until they got caught doing it by another outside party. Seriously, do you Google fanboiz not pay attention to the news?

And it's not about the legality, it's about the ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.