Google Chrome has trouble accessing secure sites

NewtWin

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I have used Firefox since it debuted (ver 1.0) but am no longer able to on this old hand-me-down laptop running Windows XP that I use due to display problems. So this year I started using Chrome. Chrome displays OK (usually), but it has this problem whereby, if I try to go to certain web sites it gives me warning prompts. Now, the latest version of Chrome is somewhat different in how these errors are displayed, but back in April of this year I started screen copying these error boxes, Here is from one I got when I tried to go into facebook:

The site's security certificate is not trusted!

You attempted to reach www.facebook.com, but the server presented a certificate issued by an entity that is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may mean that the server has generated its own security credentials, which Chrome cannot rely on for identity information, or an attacker may be trying to intercept your communications.

You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Then there are 2 buttons I can click on: [Proceed anyway] or [Back to safety]

Now at first I thought the reason that Firefox never had anything like this happen before going into different web sites was because maybe they programmed it to not be so picky about certificates being valid. But with Chrome, they programmed it so that everything had to be ship-shape as it were. But the more sites that presented this kind of warning message (sites such as wikipedia, www.openssl.org, www.hubub.com, secure.ssa.gov), I just found it hard to believe that all these web sites just hadn't done something they ought to have done to allow secure connections from Chrome browsers. So, is the problem on my end? If so, how do I correct this problem? I have let this go all year, because usually I can get by. But now I need to fix this. I think it has something to do with web sites that use SSL and start out https rather than just http. But I don't know hardly anything about this certificate stuff to know what to do. But I can get by if its just the web site I am going to directly is the problem. I click on the proceed anyway button. But there were some web pages that access other web sites that are using this security stuff. So then I get images on my web pages with stupid little frown face icons because it can't access the images (why these images need to be behind a security wall is beyond me). But there was some places where, when I want to sign into their forum or something, apparently the application that I need to sign in through, is on a separate web site which is apparently set up using this security mechanism and here the application is just showing a stupid frowning icon, and so I can't sign in. This is the way the washingtonpost.com web site is. I created a login there, but I cannot sign in because the login procedure is not accessible to me, sigh. Its not accessible because as an embedded app it can't (or at least doesn't) throw up a warning box that I can click the "Proceed anyway" button, Now maybe to correct this I just have to make some kind of setting within my Chrome browser. I hope so anyway. But the thing is, every time I start up Chrome I get this error message popup of:

Google Chrome

Your preferences can not be read.

Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved.

So even if I could fix my problems with accessing these web sites via making setting changes, it looks like I would have to make these changes over again every time I restarted Chrome, which would be a bummer.

So does anyone have a clue of what my problem is? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

NewtWin

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
When you say "update windows", do you mean I have to get a new, later version of Microsoft Windows such as version 7 or 8 or whatever new silly superficial iteration they have come out with? Or do you mean I need to run "Windows Update"? Because despite the fact that I had just assumed that Microsoft was no longer supporting Windows XP (I heard this was true back in April I believe it was) and so I thought would no longer be giving out updates for XP, I thought I would try doing a "Windows Update" and it did actually seem to have some stuff there for me to update (from choosing the default button), in fact 30 different updates! And these included many security updates! So even though it took me all night to download and run these updates I was very hopeful that this would fix my problems. But alas, I find that no they did NOT fix any of the problems I was having... sigh.

So does anyone else have any other suggestions?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Is the time & date on your machine set correctly? For example if it's set to Jan 1st 2005, web browsers will see a discrepancy between the certificate dates and whatever your PC considers to be the current time & date, and they will throw pretty much the same sorts of errors you're looking at

NewtWin

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Thank's so much for those trying to help me with this! I'm really pretty good at keeping the date and time of my computer up to date. I just clicked on "Update Now" on Microsoft's clock app and it only had to change about 5 seconds. So I don't think that is my problem. So am I correct in assuming that there are other Win XP users who are not having these types of problems?