Google Chrome Stutter Lag Low Framerate in HD 1080p Videos and Youtube

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Windows 7 Home 64 bit.
Asus GTX 670 DC2T GPU
Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 CPU
4 GB of DDR2 RAM

Whenever I play videos in 1080p HD they stutter and lag dramatically.
This is mostly common and visible with Gamespot videos at HD, and also with every 1080p Youtube videos. Also has these issues with Vimeo although its not as bad.

This issue only occurs with Google Chrome !!
I tried disabling Hardware Acceleration - but it's no use, in fact it only makes things worse.
Additionally, I tried removing the pepflash file or disabling the plugin, but these potential fixes only made videos totally unplayable, as it says the flash plugin fails to load.

So the issue is clearly with the Flash plugin built into Google Chrome when playing 1080p HD (and possible 60fps videos.)

The stuttering in Google Chrome HD 1080p videos is so bad, that lip sync is totally out of sync, fps seem like 5-10 FPS. The video jumps, the audio often clicks and throws noises. The lag can rise into un-watchable levels.

Curiously, the same videos play flawlessly on Internet Explorer 11, meaning I have no issues with IE11 at all.
I also noticed that CPU usage reaches 70-80% when playing the same videos @1080p in Chrome; while with IE11 CPU usage only reaches 17% at max.

Chrome is my default browser for work reasons as well as syncing with my Galaxy S5 phone, but I am sick of copy-paste the URL of videos into my IE11 everytime I wish to watch a short video.
PLEASE HELP!

DonnaRaine

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

I have recently done that and updated everything, and Im still getting choppy video and flash crashes. Someone help us fix this crap, my birthday is in 5 days I dont wanna spend money to have someone tell me how to fix it

ANyone know if running BOTH flash players would help ?

Cxbxr_3

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Having the same issue on a samsung laptop,,, skips frames & stutters on 1080-720 but fine on 480p cpu gets pretty worked up over it too, you would think since its a newer 2012 laptop it would not have issues playing hd videos on youtube

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Hey guys I found an alternative solid solution for us:
Microsoft Edge !

It seemed to work for me.
It runs flawlessly smooth, stutter-free with no audio issues - on 1080p and even 1080p 60fps!
Please try it out and let me know if it works for you.

Here are a few videos you can try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npiQBpnD_Mk
A gamespot video that stutters horrible on 1080p 60fps on Chrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGuvRIIx8c
1080p 60fps vid of the epic Mtel Gera Solid V The Phantom Pain

Edit: I just watched both vids again on Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, and I have great news:
I am shocked how crystal clear, silky smooth and 100% stutter free they run!
Not only that but they load and play real fast. There are no artifacts, lag or audio glitches at all. And even more surprising is that CPU usage is a lot lower than the abhorrent Chrome.

Microsoft you NAILED IT baby, praise be Microsoft Edge! !
All we now need is extension support to add Ad-Block Plus and EDGE will be perfect!

Let me know if Edge is the solution for you too. The new browser is very promising.

lordkarnage17

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015

I am on the very same boat, where 60 fps content plays fine on my main desktop (i7 3770, gtx 780ti), while it runs awfully on anything other edge, and IE on my laptop.

Note this is a gaming laptop with an i7 4702hq, so if it isnt "powerfull" enough to run a damn youtube video, then I dont know what is.

The main problem is that I prefer chrome, but considering I do a lot of media consumption on youtube this is a real deal breaker. The lack of addon support yet in edge, is also an issue... (gotta have me that adblock)

Somehow the cpu usage is at like 50% on chrome yet it still manages to give a worse experience than edge. this issue first occurred on windows 8.1, and has persisted through the upgrade to windows 10, so I have no Idea anymore...

Even on my desktop cpu, 60fps content causes a noticeable spike in cpu usage, pinning the cpu to its max 4.1ghz, while edge does nothing of the sort...

Chris29888

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
I've had this exact same problem for quite a while (Chrome slowing to a crawl when the videos were 1080@60, IE playing them without problems, Firefox being completely useless) and what eventually fixed it for me (until a few days ago) was the Chrome extension h264ify. With this I could watch 1080@60 without any lag, stuttering or frame drops, but now for some reason it has started to lag again and while it's not as unwatchable as it was without the extension, it's still very annoying to have a short playback pause every few seconds when there's lots of movement on screen.
Either way, try the extension, maybe it helps you.

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Hey Chris thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot sometime.
Have you read my posts above?

Use Microsoft Edge when watching videos!
So far it has been fantastically smooth, fast and sharp even on 1080p at 60fps on my old hardware.
I posted a few links above, give it a shot with Microsoft EDGE and tell me how it works for you.

I just hope Edge release extension support and allow Ad Block Plus. Edge + Adblock would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.