Google Confirms No Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]fakeasdf2[/nom]Oh, so if you don't have it on your phone it's considered a niche program or thing to do... So the entire idea behind releasing the new 4S was for a niche program? sounds like millions of people just got hoodwinked.[/citation]

I think the point you should remember, is, you don't have it on your Android. Whether it's niche or not.

Going back on topic, the 3GS does receive all the other updates which iOS 5 offers. The Nexus One does not get the latest update, ICS - and it's a much younger phone.

Try and twist it any way you want, but the bottom line is this is awful customer service from Google/HTC. People buying this phone as little as 7 months ago on a 2 year contract have every right to be annoyed they can't have the latest software.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]fakeasdf2[/nom]It's called voice search by google... it's been available on android phones for the last 2 years...[/citation]

This isn't remotely comparable to Siri.

ltdementhial

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]Wait, my Transformer only has 1 core? Who stole the other one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Transformer has a Tegra 2 dual core processor.[/citation]

Actually im runing both Iris, Vlingo and Voice Actions, Voice actions is the best by far because the progam "learns" and you can change the name of the bot and out yourself a nickname a bit creepy but useful for friends who don't want to hear the bot talking to them with my name.

On topic: it's funny how you can have the fastes phone wth android but it will be limited officially by the manufacturer, im running 2.3.7 on my Lg GT 540 and damn it runs fast...and its 1/9 of the power of the Nexus One...i can bet Mur4ik's from 4pda.ru will releas ICS for my old phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Siri vs Voice Actions

http://gigaom.com/mobile/speech-smack-down-siri-vs-android-voice-actions/

Quote:

'That’s pretty much the end for Google Voice Actions, which requires users to memorize the exact commands much like Microsoft’s Voice Command for Windows Mobile did back in its 2003 debut. It’s not difficult to do so, and the functionality is certainly useful. However, Siri can do even more and provides intelligence that Android doesn’t yet match. Compare the above video demo of Google’s solution with this introduction to Siri that Apple created; you’ll immediately notice that Siri isn’t simply a voice command system. Instead, it’s a semi-intelligent interactive assistant'

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This isn't remotely comparable to Siri.[/citation]

On the contrary, Vlingo does everything I need. From getting GPS navigation to sending texts, making phone calls, launching apps, buy movie tickets, get a taxi if my car breaks down, get google search results by asking questions, etc. I don't need to ask my phone the meaning of life or whether or not it would marry me. I have a fiance for that. Sure, I could ask Siri for the weather, but my phone's weather widget does the same thing, and I don't even have to ask it, it tracks my location automatically and cycles between preset locations. I may have to manually add a new location, but how often do I need that at a time when I can't simply tap my keypad and put in a zip code?

Will Siri eventually surpass Vlingo in terms of features? It may have already done so, but if not it most likely will as soon as it's out of beta. But Vlingo does everything I need and more with no issues for the past several months. Now tell me why it's no good? The nice thing is now you have a choice and can pick whichever you want. Sadly for Vlingo, it's time on iPhone may be limited, as Apple doesn't take kindly to apps that mimic the same features it provides, and they may take Vlingo off the market if changes aren't made.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How's Siri working on your Android? I don't have to specify which model?That's right, you don't have it, full stop, even on brand new phones.[/citation]
You are proving a point that Apple realizes that their sheep are morons and that they need an assistant.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]On the contrary, Vlingo does everything I need. From getting GPS navigation to sending texts, making phone calls, launching apps, buy movie tickets, get a taxi if my car breaks down, get google search results by asking questions, etc. I don't need to ask my phone the meaning of life or whether or not it would marry me. I have a fiance for that. Sure, I could ask Siri for the weather, but my phone's weather widget does the same thing, and I don't even have to ask it, it tracks my location automatically and cycles between preset locations. I may have to manually add a new location, but how often do I need that at a time when I can't simply tap my keypad and put in a zip code?Will Siri eventually surpass Vlingo in terms of features? It may have already done so, but if not it most likely will as soon as it's out of beta. But Vlingo does everything I need and more with no issues for the past several months. Now tell me why it's no good? The nice thing is now you have a choice and can pick whichever you want. Sadly for Vlingo, it's time on iPhone may be limited, as Apple doesn't take kindly to apps that mimic the same features it provides, and they may take Vlingo off the market if changes aren't made.[/citation]

Whether you 'need' something, in your personal little world, means nothing.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/siri-understands-intent-beats-google-voice-actions-tellme-and-vlingo/6780

Quote:
'Summary: Siri is the talk of the town at the moment and here you can see how it compares to other platforms and a cross platform service. Siri still beats them all handily.'

'Siri beats all the others with the conversational nature of the utility that helps refine actions and make your life easier. Some of what Siri does actually helps ease my concern with a smaller display on the iPhone 4S compared to the Android and Windows Phone 7 big 4.3 inch devices. All of these services require data connections to perform so that is an inherent weakness with these voice recognition and assistant programs.

People who have not tried Siri really cannot understand the power and capability of it.'

Whether you want better or not, Siri is.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This isn't remotely comparable to Siri.[/citation]
Since Apple flock like to say that everybody copies Apple...how is that notification area working out for you? How about Twitter integration? Darn, that is two already.

ltdementhial

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Siri vs Voice Actionshttp://gigaom.com/mobile/speech-sm [...] e-actions/Quote:'That’s pretty much the end for Google Voice Actions, which requires users to memorize the exact commands much like Microsoft’s Voice Command for Windows Mobile did back in its 2003 debut. It’s not difficult to do so, and the functionality is certainly useful. However, Siri can do even more and provides intelligence that Android doesn’t yet match. Compare the above video demo of Google’s solution with this introduction to Siri that Apple created; you’ll immediately notice that Siri isn’t simply a voice command system. Instead, it’s a semi-intelligent interactive assistant'[/citation]

Thats Google Voice Actions this is the Voice Actions i meant: Jeannie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRk-fdiqqSA

Pretty good for the Russian accent of the guy having in mind the problems that i see in kotaku with japanese accent

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]You are proving a point that Apple realizes that their sheep are morons and that they need an assistant.[/citation]

Yeah, OK, that really makes sense given the Android fan's desperate attempts to claim they have an equivalent.

And by the way, if you ever make it, in life, you know, with a job and stuff? You'll probably need an assistant.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]Thats Google Voice Actions this is the Voice Actions i meant: Jeanniehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRk-fdiqqSAPretty good for the Russian accent of the guy having in mind the problems that i see in kotaku with japanese accent[/citation]

http://lifehacker.com/5853814/jeannie-for-android-responds-to-your-voice-can-hold-a-conversation-with-you

'Jeannie obviously isn't at the same level of complexity as Siri is on the iPhone, but the app is a big step in the right direction. It's definitely missing some of the features of previously mentioned Siri-like apps for Android like Vlingo, but it's worth a try if you're looking for a mostly-hands-off app to interact with.'

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Whether you 'need' something, in your personal little world, means nothing.http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-pho [...] lingo/6780Quote:'Summary: Siri is the talk of the town at the moment and here you can see how it compares to other platforms and a cross platform service. Siri still beats them all handily.''Siri beats all the others with the conversational nature of the utility that helps refine actions and make your life easier. Some of what Siri does actually helps ease my concern with a smaller display on the iPhone 4S compared to the Android and Windows Phone 7 big 4.3 inch devices. All of these services require data connections to perform so that is an inherent weakness with these voice recognition and assistant programs.People who have not tried Siri really cannot understand the power and capability of it.'Whether you want better or not, Siri is.[/citation]
I don't get it. The person you quoted talked about a competitive product and you responded that because it does what he needs "means nothing" and you continue to justify that Siri is better. That really strikes me as odd but it truly does go along with Apple loyalists and their mentality. It doesn't matter that another product exists and actually works for people...it is that Apple is always the best no matter what and everybody is just copying Apple. It really is quite entertaining to see and read...

fakeasdf2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Yeah, OK, that really makes sense given the Android fan's desperate attempts to claim they have an equivalent.And by the way, if you ever make it, in life, you know, with a job and stuff? You'll probably need an assistant.[/citation]

Lol, give it up fanboy. You're logic is flawed. Google came out with a better product than your little Siri, and you've never even used it.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Since Apple flock like to say that everybody copies Apple...how is that notification area working out for you? How about Twitter integration? Darn, that is two already.[/citation]

Yeah, twitter integration was 'invented' by Android...

As for notification area, yeah it's an area Android was better in, and now isn't. Think we reached the end of that list.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I don't get it. The person you quoted talked about a competitive product and you responded that because it does what he needs "means nothing" and you continue to justify that Siri is better. That really strikes me as odd but it truly does go along with Apple loyalists and their mentality. It doesn't matter that another product exists and actually works for people...it is that Apple is always the best no matter what and everybody is just copying Apple. It really is quite entertaining to see and read...[/citation]

I think you just lack the intelligence to understand.

The point is that whether he wants something or not, does not change whether OTHER PEOPLE DO, and has nothing to do with whether it's better or not.

If person X comes along and says he doesn't need to play games, does that make the discussion over which phone can play games irrelevant? Of course not. Because the world doesn't care if he cares. And even if the world did care if he cared, it wouldn't affect which one was actually better.

Every single review is my evidence that Siri is unmatched on Android. You're the blind apple-hater who can't face that reality.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]fakeasdf2[/nom]Lol, give it up fanboy. You're logic is flawed. Google came out with a better product than your little Siri, and you've never even used it.[/citation]

Yeah OK, every single independent review comparing Siri to any other Android voice control system is 'wrong', and concluding that they can't match it, is 'wrong'.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]You are proving a point that Apple realizes that their sheep are morons and that they need an assistant.[/citation]

So I guess I, an Apple user, just proved that point invalid when I called it a niche feature that I don't need or care about. Thanks for making yourself look dumb for me!

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Wow you fanboys provide entertainment for normal people. Why do you hate each other SO much? So what if somene prefers a different phone than you???

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]mmaatt747[/nom]Wow you fanboys provide entertainment for normal people.[/citation]

I agree, that's why I just occasionally throw rocks at that hornet nest! I actually post from a WebOS device, which makes watching the kids rage that much more funny to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.