Google Confirms No Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus One

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]This may be the mentality for Apple morons who have to have everything done automatically, but anyone with half an amount of sense (most Android users) will probably either root their phone or have someone do it.Plus the Nexus 1 hardware looks good enough to handle it, so it is just a matter of the dev community (the real geeky driver writers and such) supporting it. Just time is all.[/citation]

Agreed; if you buy an iPhone it just works while if you get an Android phone you have to spend your time looking for hacks to bring it up to some useable level - I've been saying that all along but you bitches keep thumbing me down...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mmaatt747[/nom]Wow you fanboys provide entertainment for normal people. Why do you hate each other SO much? So what if somene prefers a different phone than you???[/citation]

I don't mind anyone who buys, Android, Windows 7, or iOS phones. What I do take issue with is any of those 3 groups posting things which are simply not true.

Unfortunately, it tends to be the Android fans, who come up with classics (today alone) such as :

'The iPhone 4s is catching up to the Nexus one' (a phone which was slower than iPhone 4)
'The Samsung Galaxy S2 is more powerful than the iPhone 4S' (having as it does, a ridiculously slower GPU - evidenced by failure to read benchmarks)
'Google came out with a better product than Siri' (despite every independent review highlighting how much better Siri is)

If I saw Apple fans make claims which were as ridiculous I'd call them out too.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
If Google doesn't start to require their manufacturers (and their tech staff) to have a system of maintaining the new OSs on any given phone for a set amount of time (say, 2 years after the last date of sale of a new phone on contract) than they are going to loose support of the community, in favor of more streamlined systems, like Apple or even Blackberry... You MUST maintain support for new items currently on sale for the duration of contracts...

If I get a phone, even on clearance, on the last day it is being sold, I want to be able to have the latest OS and updates 730 days later... Minimum...

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I don't mind anyone who buys, Android, Windows 7, or iOS phones. What I do take issue with is any of those 3 groups posting things which are simply not true. Unfortunately, it tends to be the Android fans, who come up with classics (today alone) such as :'The iPhone 4s is catching up to the Nexus one' (a phone which was slower than iPhone 4)'The Samsung Galaxy S2 is more powerful than the iPhone 4S' (having as it does, a ridiculously slower GPU - evidenced by failure to read benchmarks)'Google came out with a better product than Siri' (despite every independent review highlighting how much better Siri is)If I saw Apple fans make claims which were as ridiculous I'd call them out too.[/citation]

Anyone who states the iPhone 4S is catching up to the nexus one is confusing the nexus one with the nexus galaxy prime, and from the 4 to 4S, yes they have caught up, but they have not blown away the competition, as the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus (also the upcoming Droid RAZR) are the flagship android phones right now and are the 4S's main competitor.

And true, the iPhone 4S has the fastest mobile GPU in the world, but that does not mean the Galaxy S2 is not a more powerful overall phone. The S2 has a better processor (CPU, not GPU. Apple might have been better if they did not underclock the processor, but then Apple wouldn't have such good battery life), more RAM, expandable storage, roughly the same camera (iPhone 4S is most likely better), NFC, and a superior display. Apple has a superior Camera, more stable and fluid OS, a Retina Display (Retina vs screen size is mostly user preference), better battery life, and probably one or two more things I missed as I haven't owned a 4S, just a 4.

To the end user, they probably could never tell the difference on anything except maybe the GPU. True, the SGS2 has more RAM but iOS is more optimized for memory usage. The phones are essentially equal, and sales will tell which one is better in the eyes of the consumer.

Siri could be great, but it's still beta and only on iOS. A Siri alternative is available in Vlingo ( I don't care if it's "less intelligent," it still does voice commands) and a Siri copy will likely make it's way to Android too. There's no stopping that, unless Apple releases Siri for Android (and that will never happen).

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]And when I say the end user could never tell the difference, I meant in terms of raw power, not performance.[/citation]

You are exactly right. I have my Touchpad overclocked to 1.7GHz, and it is still noticeably slower than the iPad 2. I still like the Touchpad better.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Agreed; if you buy an iPhone it just works while if you get an Android phone you have to spend your time looking for hacks to bring it up to some useable level - I've been saying that all along but you bitches keep thumbing me down...[/citation]

My android phone "just works" Games, Music, Photos, Texts Calls, Voice command were all "just working" when I bought it.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Guys.. Google and Apple are corporations. What logical reasoning is behind being "fanboys" of corporations? You are just a number to them, a profit margin, just a figure in statistics. Are you that desperate to want a sense of kinship with corporations who wouldn't give a rat's ass if you disappeared off the face of this planet?

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Guys, this has NOTHING to do with CPU clock speed, or even the amount of RAM the Nexus One has. It's about ROM. ROM = The flash memory inside the phone dedicated to the OS itself. It's built into the circuitry and cannot be expanded.

With that said, ICS requires almost double that ROM. The only way to get it on there is to cut out features which would allow you to squeeze it into your phone. You will not find any legit builds of this. Just wait for a custom firmware from XDA.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Dark Comet[/nom]My android phone "just works" Games, Music, Photos, Texts Calls, Voice command were all "just working" when I bought it.[/citation]

Yes, but did you read what the poster said (who I was replying to?)... he said that: "but anyone with half an amount of sense (most Android users) will probably either root their phone or have someone do it "; that's HIM saying it not me. And here's where we agree - you spend more time dicking with your phone trying to get it to run the latest/greatest OS than using it (and in most cases that's without the support of the manufacturer)...

Sorry, I buy my phone to use it, not to spend countless hours fiddling with it to make it work.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Isn't it time that future Android releases start using less bubbly names? Wouldn't you rather see names like Meat Cleaver, Napalm, Morning Star, Syphilis, Deadbeat Dad, Parole, Hairy Knuckles, etc.?

Think about it. Two guys are talking about their phones. One says "hey, are you running Syphilis on that?". The other guy says "no, I'm still running Deadbeat Dad. I don't what's up with Sprint."

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Guys.. Google and Apple are corporations. What logical reasoning is behind being "fanboys" of corporations? You are just a number to them, a profit margin, just a figure in statistics. Are you that desperate to want a sense of kinship with corporations who wouldn't give a rat's ass if you disappeared off the face of this planet?[/citation]

+1! (I've NEVER understood brand loyalty, whether it's phones, cars, etc.)

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]+1! (I've NEVER understood brand loyalty, whether it's phones, cars, etc.)[/citation]

The most logical way to think of brand loyalty is whether or not you've been screwed by said company. If you have, find someone else, if not then why change when you like what you have?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Anyone who states the iPhone 4S is catching up to the nexus one is confusing the nexus one with the nexus galaxy prime, and from the 4 to 4S, yes they have caught up, but they have not blown away the competition, as the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus (also the upcoming Droid RAZR) are the flagship android phones right now and are the 4S's main competitor. And true, the iPhone 4S has the fastest mobile GPU in the world, but that does not mean the Galaxy S2 is not a more powerful overall phone. The S2 has a better processor (CPU, not GPU. Apple might have been better if they did not underclock the processor, but then Apple wouldn't have such good battery life), more RAM, expandable storage, roughly the same camera (iPhone 4S is most likely better), NFC, and a superior display. Apple has a superior Camera, more stable and fluid OS, a Retina Display (Retina vs screen size is mostly user preference), better battery life, and probably one or two more things I missed as I haven't owned a 4S, just a 4. To the end user, they probably could never tell the difference on anything except maybe the GPU. True, the SGS2 has more RAM but iOS is more optimized for memory usage. The phones are essentially equal, and sales will tell which one is better in the eyes of the consumer.Siri could be great, but it's still beta and only on iOS. A Siri alternative is available in Vlingo ( I don't care if it's "less intelligent," it still does voice commands) and a Siri copy will likely make it's way to Android too. There's no stopping that, unless Apple releases Siri for Android (and that will never happen).[/citation]

1 - They weren't confusing the Nexus One with the Nexus Prime, they are just genuinely that obtuse.
2 - From the 4 to 4S they didn't 'catch up' - they set the new highest benchmark, the fastest CPU/GPU combo in ANY phone, combined with leading battery life, most apps, and unique features like Siri.
3 - The Galaxy S2 and the Nexus are indeed the most competitors. The Nexus has the same GPU as the Samsung Galaxy S (2 years old). The Galaxy S2 has a worse GPU than the iPhone 4S, like you said. However, the Samsung Galaxy S2 DOES NOT necessarily have a faster CPU, which you claim entirely without foundation. In fact, preliminary benchmarks describe exactly the opposite picture. It's this exact naivety of just assuming the CPU is faster because of higher GHZ that is so ridiculous. It's why I evidence all of my points.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41655.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41619.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41612.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41613.png

Also, bear in mind that iOS interface is entirely GPU accelerated, so this higher performance in possibly the CPU combined with the certainly much faster GPU is a massive boon for the iPhone 4S. It is certainly immediately obvious when you try both phones side by side, and affects every single app.

4 - The RAM argument I agree is irrelevant because iOS handles multi tasking far more elegantly and never suffers slowdown as apps use memory like Android does.

5 - Given all of the above, and the fact that Apple has a better reputation for quality, manufacturing, customer satisfaction, more apps, and unique features like Siri and iCloud, wireless TV link, the only benefit of the SGS2 is the larger, lower resolution screen. It's a high price to pay to sacrifice everything else on the phone, just for a larger screen - it's very illogical to describe the phones as equal.

6 - Siri has been widely reviewed and compared to every single Android alternative, and has been found to be superior in every single case, despite being a beta. Not only is there no equivalent on Android right now, Siri will only get better at exactly the same rate that Android is playing catchup. As for the fact that that catchup will happen at some point in time, I find that irrelevant, people want to use their phone now. You may not care if the Siri rip-offs on Android are not as good, but a lot of people actually do want a more functional system that they don't have to learn commands to. Voice commands are so primitive and old it's ridiculous that they're even mentioned in the same breath as Siri. It suggests to me you've never actually tried it.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Guys.. Google and Apple are corporations. What logical reasoning is behind being "fanboys" of corporations? You are just a number to them, a profit margin, just a figure in statistics. Are you that desperate to want a sense of kinship with corporations who wouldn't give a rat's ass if you disappeared off the face of this planet?[/citation]

I think for Androids, there is an irrational hatred towards Apple because they expect all the companies to be nice guys who they can bring back to their parents, and are shocked by the fact that Apple actually try to make money, whilst at the same time being brainwashed into believing Google & Samsung don't.

As far as I'm concerned, I am on a mission against false information. Take the post above, where the guy I was replying to completely ignored the consensus reality that Siri is better than alternatives, and claimed that a CPU is faster without having a clue (with benchmarks saying the opposite).

I don't mind if people want to boycott a manufacturer for child-like irrational anger (Android users are, incidentally, younger, less educated and less well off) - but what I do mind is people using reasons which are factually incorrect to justify that hatred. They should just be manly enough and say 'I dont like a corporation, so I wont consider phones from them'. Some do, and there can be no argument against that.

I am not pro-Apple, I am pro clarification and cleansing misinformation from these forums :)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Oh and 7 - With Android it seems to be a lottery how long your phone is actually supported and get updates. You could have purchased the Nexus One 7 months ago on a 2 year contract, and now you get no updates. And even if you did get updates, they'd be delayed due to having to wait for your manufacturer to implement them.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]+1! (I've NEVER understood brand loyalty, whether it's phones, cars, etc.)[/citation]

Brand Loyalty comes down to very, very simple and basic logic.

If you've had a phone from company A and you're very happy with how it performs, with the reliability, customer service - it's MUCH more risky to switch to another phone manufacturer than to just stay put. If you're happy with a company, there's very little reason to switch.

Similarly, if you have a phone which is a complete disaster, fell apart and customer support wouldn't help you - you'd be a fool to go with that company again and expect different outcomes.

Obviously there are exceptions, but they ARE exceptions - it's a risk/reward balance. If you're happy, there's very little reward even if you successfully change to a manufacturer you like, but there's a significant risk involved as you've not necessarily used them before. If you're unhappy, there's much less risk of switching, because you're already unhappy, and a much greater reward of the potential of a phone you're happy with.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I understand why people stay with something they like, but they're being loyal to themselves, not the brand. The reason they don't switch devices, carriers, etc. is because of what it would do to themselves, not the company.

By brand loyalty, I meant people that get emotional about a corporation. Like fanboyism. I was mainly responding to ikyung's comment that I +1'd.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Yes, but did you read what the poster said (who I was replying to?)... he said that: "but anyone with half an amount of sense (most Android users) will probably either root their phone or have someone do it "; that's HIM saying it not me. And here's where we agree - you spend more time dicking with your phone trying to get it to run the latest/greatest OS than using it (and in most cases that's without the support of the manufacturer)...Sorry, I buy my phone to use it, not to spend countless hours fiddling with it to make it work.[/citation]
Most people who root do it cause they find it fun, that is the main reason I did it, cause I find it fun testing out different ROMs and I wanted to expand the phone beyond what a normal smartphone does. Android phones do just work and work perfectly well, BUT we have the option of rooting and getting much more functionality out of it (not stuff Apple does but stuff neither add in).

darknate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
wirless tv link...i think on my phone its called dlna. that was a standard before apple even thought of using anything like it since i had it on other hardware before i even got this phone.
also a sgs phone could get ics since the nexus s is the exact same hardware. saying that, there are better phones than the nexus s which means there are better phones than the iphone4 (almost same hardware; less ram and lower powered gpu). that also means that the iphone 4 was behind from the start.
higher resolution does not make a better display. amoled has proven to be better from color display to being seen in sunlight. numbers only mean everything on paper. all the resolution in the world doesnt mean anything if the screen is tiny as hell and washes out in sunlght.
as for unique features, i think being the first phone with usb on-the-go, mhl and wifi direct beats anything apple has to offer.
with samsung being the first company to offer a phone with nfc and the gs2 being the 2nd phone with it ups the ante.

as for anyone saying that people with android have to mod our phone to make it better have it wrong. this is the benefit of an open operating system. i can do more with my phone since i dont have it locked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.