Google Demands Removal of Windows Phone YouTube App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
You know, the ads are what keep those services running and free. I'm actually with Google on this one (though I'm curious about the API issue cited in this article - are they not providing MS what they need to release the app with ads?) - those ads are the lifeblood of these services with like. Take them away and who's footing the bill?
Windows phone user, Windows 8 fan, and I'm with Google. I don't like ads, but ads pay for this stuff. If you'd rather be the one paying than have to put up with the odd commercial... Well, I hope you never have enough say to rope me in.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
To state it bluntly, for the people that just aren't getting it -
It's not about the ads, neither for MS nor for google.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
My wife receives no ad revenue for the stuff she posts (lots of crafty-stuff). Ok, it's nice that YouTube exists as a service for her to use, but if Google wants to get paid, they can offer a subscription model for its users (we'd probably be willing to pay for service received). Teh_chem is right though, having to watch a 15 second ad to get to a 15 second clip is absurd.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Google is all about tracking your data, selling your info, and serving you up targeted ads based on that information.
Ad-free apps are a threat to their livelihood.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I don't like ads at all, which is why I have adblock plus, however I do realize that sites rely on ads to generate revenue so they can stay in business. For every 1 person with adblock there's probably 2 who don't have it (not everyone is tech savy) so they still make money off ads. As for Google if you're going to talk about "negativity in the tech industry hindering progress" you shouldn't be surprised when someone uses those words against you. Clearly Larry Page's comment was aimed at that fruit company, but it backfired on him.

G

@ribald86 How am I rooting vs the consumer? No one even has a Microsoft phone, I don't because they suck. I can see what you mean to some extent but I just have a massive hate towards Microsoft, although I never said google was god. Nor is Apple. Nor is Ubuntu. But it's better then Microsoft.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
MS violated the YouTube API Terms and Conditions. Google would be foolish to do nothing about it, and they have legal grounds to do what they've done.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Surround ads for when my attention and eyes wander around treating the video as a podcast are fine; ads that hold my experience till the ad is complete, those are not fine. If adblock did not remove those, I would just stop watching channels with such ads.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
lol serious burn.
Microsoft can't break Googles youtube API terms of service. Microsoft doesn't have access to them and must develop their own in order to give windows phone users a youtube app.

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
With Google its "do no evil", not "do as we do" though.
Google is at fault here for both not sharing its API's, but also for not just embedding the ads into the video's before streaming them. If Google are so insistent that users watch the advert before seeing the video then why not stream the advert as part of the video?
They could do this, but they know that if they did they would lose a large portion of their userbase, so we see these fiddles where only a portion of their userbase actually gets exposed to adverts.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
M.Pyne wrote:"Why do you think websites have ads? Those ads are what allow the content providers on youtube that you love so much to keep making videos while still being able to feed them selves."
I doubt that people posting videos about their cats are getting their share of the revenue.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
At last, people are starting to see for themselves that Google is probably the worst monopolist there is, I already had a Youtube App on WP8 and after reading this I got the new one, way to go advertising your non-advert laden App for us. You can take down the App but you will never get it uninstalled from me.

chrisxdonahue

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I've been seeing a lot of people on here post about how they doubt that the people who post the videos on YouTube get their share of the ad revenue. YouTube partners DO make money from the videos they post. They make this money through the ads that are imposed on their videos. Just wanted to clear that up.
PLEASE, do some research before speaking on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.