Google Drive Launching Next Week with 5 GB Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
If they don't give more than SkyDrive from the get go, I don't see a lot of people using it, they need to give either 30GB or double the amount MS gives with SkyDrive....

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]If they don't give more than SkyDrive from the get go, I don't see a lot of people using it, they need to give either 30GB or double the amount MS gives with SkyDrive....[/citation]
Google giving out 5GB storage space is perfectly adequate for the average user. Honestly, how much stuff do you need to store online? You don't use up storage space for music (other than being limited to 20k songs), you have 8GB for all your email and you get 1GB for documents.

Keep in mind that all of this is "free". If you still need more, then pay for it.

bch

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
For me reliability and features is what matters more than capacity.
Have been using Apple iCloud and with "only" 5GB storage (most of it used by iPad and iPhone backups) and that's about what I need. Most useful features for me is contacts and photos synchronisation between devices.

robynkms

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Excellent
g.gif

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Can I share parts of this 'box' to everyone on the internet?

If not, stick your cloud storage, since there is no point of storing things online if the people on your network (the internet) can't access it.

G

Picasa needs more space! I hope it gets it after Drive is out...

G

bch: "Most useful features for me is contacts and photos synchronisation between devices."

I see Microsoft as being one of the best in the cloud storage. There is an unlimited amount of synced data that is not backed up on online servers and that is a huge benefit in my opinion. Microsoft must just promote more their products though, they are one of the best and still, dropbox is far more popular.

On the other hand, Google products are always overhyped. See the Google Wave and Buzz in the past...

I am not a fanboy of Microsoft or against Google, I would wish for people not to judge any company by its comments or by what it claims and just try their services (and i mean for every company sort of...) and then judge with your mind not with the company reputation.

For example, Google Chrome is good now (should have fixed bad security issues) and IMO IE9 is good too. Google focused on developing Chrome more than Microsoft's IE and Chrome is now better. But it is a shame that people deny the good things in IE9. I was impressed by tom's hardware on this metter when they published an unbiased article claiming IE9 was the best at the time (Browser Grand Prix thing).

So, after all, I hope Google Drive will be good and it should also dirve other services like Box, Dropbox and Mesh to improve their free services. (and why is SkyDrive always mentioned and not Mesh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.