Google Execs to Face Milan Court Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokemeister

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If we follow that line of thinking, shouldn't then the Government itself be on trial for failing to protect the boys privacy. The buck should only stop at the top, not at the scapegoat. OMHO, the buck stops with the people who actually perpetrated the activity, ie. those that inflicted and recorded the activity in the first place.

DiamondT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
They should monitor what is put up. Don't tell me they cannot afford to. Free speech and that kind of thing are not the same.

sniper3000gt

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
What about the kids who posted it? Did they get punished for doing it?
What about the boys parents? Did they get punished for letting it happen?
Google can always upgrade the technology, but we can't upgrade the stupidity, ignorance and irresponsibility of people.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
It's a ridiculous charge for a service like Google Video, and that's why certain other western nations don't play by that kind of stupid rule. If it were somehow enforced evenly and thoroughly then the internet could not work as a conduit for free speech and the exchange of information.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
hmmm. I think the video is horrible, but I never really considered google video as a content provider like tv. More as a personal news site or personal video site. VIDEO'S catch bad people. Thats a fact. If the video wasn't put up, nobody would know how the boy was being treated. It's truth in it's rawest form. How come reporters aren't put on trial? (rhetorical question)........ I think the people who created the video should be held responsible. After all, how in the hell can google possible sort through all those videos? It would take years and a team of thousands. Google is not to blame. Yeah, the video was overlooked, but then again, how come noone else reported the video? Youtube is probably next on there hitlist.. What ever happened to freedom of the press? Google doesn't make the video's it is only a delivery system. Just like youtube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_press

crymsonpheonix

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Following this line of reasion says that hee RIAA has a right to sue google (or any other search engine) for linking to torrents now, or sites with torrents, or that the MPA can sue them for linking to tablature. Its BS

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]DiamondT[/nom]They should monitor what is put up. Don't tell me they cannot afford to. Free speech and that kind of thing are not the same.[/citation]

You realize how many videos are uploaded to that kind of service right? As a "free" service it would most likely cost way to much to hire people to censor all uploads... They did the best they could by taking it down within 24 hours when it was reported. Asking for any more and any company providing that kind of service would most likely have to start charging or discontinue service due to the cost.

gcolefla

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
20 hours of videos are uploaded to youtube every single minute. There is no way to scan for teasing or any other kind of content unless some program could automatically figure out what was being said in a video, or possibly a comment scanner that looked for "i was offended by this". Google is an open platform that has changed how the world works and they are not responsible for that one video, there are probably a ton of videos of one group making fun of another.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I wouldn't be worried given its the Italian courts we're talkin about here. Last I heard it takes 10 years on average to get a court date and coupled with what amounts to a pretty weak case I don't think google need to be overly worried.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I declare Italy a land full of _______[adjective ex.stupid] ____________[noun ex. f@990+5] that all deserve to _________[verb ex.die].

They completely contradicted Google's motto. I hope Google's got a trick up their sleeve and are gonna whip Italy's @55 in court and blow them off the political map.

What's with the political system these days, anyways? First TPB, then a city wide strike just started this morning, and now this?

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
"prosecution argues that in allowing the video to be posted in the first place, Google violated the boy's privacy"

No. The one who recorded it was violating his privacy.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
This reminds me of the Seinfeld series finale....

Maybe they should get Jackie Chiles to represent them. "lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!"

Status
Not open for further replies.