Google Fiber Finally Launching Next Week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]all these people bitchin about Fiber and yet if you live near a major interstate in a sprint zone there is already fiber there since the early to mid 90's.sprint is some pretty cheap bastards holding out on connecting directly to those fiber trunk lines with fiber roots.[/citation]
Fiber trunks have been there for basically every provider for a really long time, it just isnt fiber directly to the home like google is planning. FiOS was the first to do fiber directly to the home (in the US at least)

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
And this is why I live in South Korea. 10Gnbe+ Fibre to every apartment building for three different ISPs (SK / KT / LG). Every apartment prewired with 100Mbps Cat-5 cabling that goes to a distribution layer that's 1Gbps to the apartment buildings core fabric. Get 90Mbps+ download to anything in country, 5~25Mbps to the west coast (that's halfway around the world).

Yeah ... I'm now addicted to ridiculous speed internet ... in plaid.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]And this is why I live in South Korea. 10Gnbe+ Fibre to every apartment building for three different ISPs (SK / KT / LG). Every apartment prewired with 100Mbps Cat-5 cabling that goes to a distribution layer that's 1Gbps to the apartment buildings core fabric. Get 90Mbps+ download to anything in country, 5~25Mbps to the west coast (that's halfway around the world).Yeah ... I'm now addicted to ridiculous speed internet ... in plaid.[/citation]

And if you want some entertainment, you can always cross the boarder. ;)

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Well I don't live in Kansas City nor do I have any complaints with my 50/30 Mbps Verizon FiOS (Cable TV, Phone & ISP) although Verizon is offering 'Verizon Quantum' Ultimate 300/65 Mbps - http://www22.verizon.com/home/fiosinternet/#plans

Reality check - 50/30 Mbps is overkill for most folks and Netflix HD bandwidth requirements at 4.8 Mbps for movies; Netflix’s 720p HD videos come in at roughly 3.8 Mbps, and 1080p videos go up to 4.8 Mbps. So how many Mbps is enough?! IMO if you have a 10+Mbps connection you're good anything more only really helps if you're downloading 'Games' which can be 7GB+.

On a 50 Mbps a 14GB file takes a little less than an hour, BUT the source i.e. place where you're downloading content FROM is the bottleneck 90% of the time from the limits they employ per connection.

Example 14GB ~45minutes on FiOS:

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Google discovered that 17-percent of Kansas Citians are not going online at all, and 8-percent are only using dial-up or slow speed wireless connections."

Did they find this out before or after they choose Kansas City and if most those without internet say it is not "relevant to their lives." then I do not see how Google is going to change their minds. As for those who think it is too expensive to get internet I would like to see the real cost people are going to pay every month for this.

Either way I am glad at least someone other than Comcast and Time Whorer....Warner coming to the market. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Laying fiber anywhere is awesome but I would love it if Google rolled out fiber in Portland or Seattle where there is a serious demand for it.[/citation]
+1 for Seattle. You can get Verizon FIOS outside the city, but I'll take Google over Verizon any day.

mikeintn

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I'll stick with my Chattanooga Fiber. I've had it for over a year now and it is just as fast if not faster not sure what speeds Google is offering but I actually just downgraded my 50up/50down connection for 70$ a month to 58$ a month for 30/30. I couldn't use that much bandwidth consistently to justify the extra 12 bucks. I also seem to be getting 35up and 32down when I do get a bunch going. Not to mention I have been to Kansas a few times and I much prefer Chattanooga it is actually a really nice place to live after doing quite a bit of traveling.

G

@mikeintn

did you know that EPB sells 1000/1000 fiber already..

and Ringgold Telephone also offers their own 100/100.

feels good to know those are available

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]thorkle[/nom]This is why they should've brought it to Chicago instead ;-)[/citation]
You and I both know that if they tryed to put it in Chicago the people installing it would ether be killed, robbed, or both!

This is one of the reasons why Chicago can't have nice things. =/

mikeintn

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
@GeorgiaAlabama

Indeed I did in addition to the 1Gig up and down package they also offer 100mb u/d. They are a bit pricey however. There 30/30 or 50/50 would be good enough for most people they blow anything Comcast, AT&T offers out of the water around here and I would never switch back. The latency is another thing that is insane that most providers can't compete with. For people that game it is a huge plus as I am almost always sub 50ms unless the server or hop somewhere on the other end just sucks. I get 5ms connect to atlanta and other surrounding cities.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Its about someone did something about this pathetic internet. The us is so far behind in internet speed. Now lets see them install it all over the place.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]Nicelive in sweden and all around me we gotten built in fiber except for a small portion, and its at my location. but im not to down got 4g 90% signal 70mbps down and 31mbps up unlimited dl for 35$ but still : ([/citation]

We get 10 MB/s down and 1 MB/s up for $65, despite the official 20 MB/s and 12 MB/s up. Don't even mention to me what happens when my parents use the internet, because the latency to a server less than 200 miles away spikes from 40-100ms to over 400ms.

And I'm going to silently judge anyone who thinks they can play a FPS such as Team Fortress 2 on such high latency.

G

Can't wait - I'm hanging on with 6 meg @ 15 bucks a month - Google is gonna have to beat that, but I betcha it would. We have TWO alternate cable companies in Seattle, but ONLY the privileged few in new buildings get the option...

Status
Not open for further replies.