Google Fiber Now Going Live in Kansas City

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"$70 per month, and Free Internet access. The drawback to the latter free account is that users will be required to pay a $300 construction (installation) fee in either a one-time payment, or as a monthly payment of $25 for 12 months."

let me see... $70/month (every month) or
$25/month for 12 month and then free ?

Dear editor... did you not notice that this does not make any sense ?
There has to be more to the story. How about a bit more digging before typing ?

InvalidError

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]4. Cluster computing across internet realtime no longer limited to local network due to bandwidth bottleneck[/citation]
Do you mean clustering computers across a LAN or simply remoting into a cluster?

For HPC, latency is often more important than bandwidth since the scalability is inversely proportional to the time spent waiting. If you have 0.1ms network latency on the LAN vs 1ms with GF, the LAN cluster can potentially scale to ~10X as many CPUs.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I wish Google Fiber would come to Southern California, I would switch over in a heartbeat.

Right now for my household with Verizon FiOS it's 120 dollars for Phone, Internet, and HDTV, but that before taxes and DVR costs which makes it almost 170 a month for everything.

G

Freggo, the $25/mo for 12 months is limited at 3mbps and is only "free" for 7 years at that residence. The cost is for installation, and the 12 months is an optional payment plan. You can of course pay it all up front.

The $70/mo is for 1gbps internet connection.

source: live there... got bugged about getting free internet.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Google will totally map out Everything you ever visit and download, onto their own newly designed private tracking system, and will thus begin a new era of big brotherhood! I don't know fellas, I wouldn't be as keen on doing what I do on Google Fibre, as I do with the loosely monitored ISP's of date.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]"At up to 1000 Mb per second, Google Fiber is 100 times faster than today's average Internet, allowing you to get what you want instantaneously," Google said. "You no longer have to wait on things buffering; everything will be ready to go when you are."As long as the server in the other end can handle it.... (got 100/100 today and its rarely fully used due to slow servers in the other end or routed through choke points on the net or worse... both!).[/citation]
nope, it's about running many web applications and streaming many videos at the same time
anyways, most respectable companies have fast servers (like google, MS and yahoo I think you'll run web apps from well known companies)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]"At up to 1000 Mb per second, Google Fiber is 100 times faster than today's average Internet, allowing you to get what you want instantaneously," Google said. "You no longer have to wait on things buffering; everything will be ready to go when you are."As long as the server in the other end can handle it.... (got 100/100 today and its rarely fully used due to slow servers in the other end or routed through choke points on the net or worse... both!).[/citation]
i have a 75/7 connection, it rarely gets fully used, but god help me if i ever use wifi to watch a video, no one else can use the interent, and my modem craps itself and needs a hard reset... i will never understand why. yes modem, not router.

i dont have this problem at all with wired connections.
so headroom is what i want, cant care less about if i can use it all or not.

roadkill922

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I actually have an interview coming up with a company based in Kansas City. This just makes me want to get the job even more and move to KC.

sally kinghorn

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
my classmate's sister makes $72 every hour on the laptop. She has been without work for ten months but last month her paycheck was $20053 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site http://ace60.cℴm

Status
Not open for further replies.