Google Fined $660,000 For Making Google Maps Free

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If the french service charges a fee, and they say their service is identical to googles...google can sue them for taking or copying their software etc. And reclaiming lost profits by declaring the french earnings fraudulent.

This is yet another corporate scheme to limit free knowledge so they can put a price on it. And then sell your ideas back to you. Sue anyone that allows access to free knowledge, via bullshat they think they can win and often do Only because they lie in court and twist the truth. Just so they can mine info and sell it back to you, even though you provided it for free. And had no intention of selling it. Violateing your rights as well as others to free and un restricted flow of information. Which the originators of the internet and the universities try hardily to keep in effect.

It's like the carbon tax/credits system. It's something available to everyone already, for free... they just tie in some made up numbers so that certain people benefit from it. While the majority are punished for it. This has been done since 1999. Putting a price on knowledge databases, and opening it up for trade on the world markets. Without any money or credit going back to the person who put the info out there. Basically only the sites and server owners who you submitted the info to would profit. Even if it was copyrighted in your name. Once sold, you no longer had access to the info. And could be sued if you continued to talk about or distribute info or create anything from that info.

If anything google's open source community effort to provide a minimal mapping service free is in no way comparable to any paid service, and therefore does not compete or take away from people who desire a better service. The anti-competition laws simply do not apply.

VZ navigator is also included with web access, you pay for the web service. vz navigator is not a separate fee. But verizon is very shady and often adds fees whenever they feel like it.

microsoft is already attacking linux, having lost several attempts to do so legally.

Since i've never heard of a french mapping company, maybe they should start advertising globally. Imagine how much advertising could have been done with the money they spent on suing Google...How do you expect to be competetive if no one knows about you? Use google to advertise, don't sue someone thats gonna be able to help you. Now, If i were google, i'd block you. for extreme trolling xD and never let you use any services provided. On top of sueing you for several things.

Sueing google isn't gonna do anything but make people think your service is crap, and your gonna be gold digging and nickle and dimeing us for your services. Thus people will steer clear of the french mapping services...I bet their stock values drop like crazy as people sell off the stocks they have.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]I gotta commend France for defending itself from corporations like these that diminish domestic companies influence. If Google kills a local company in France then France has it right to defend itself. It shouldn't be mandatory for other countries to bend down and take it up the A** just because we Americans do[/citation]

Google didn't kill them, their own poor business practices did. Like when walmart showed up...instead of mos and pops competeing they closed up shop. It's not that they had no choice...they didn't even try. Same with the french company. seriously have you ever heard of a french mapping company, period?

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]You morons don't get it. When a crack dealer gives you free crack, THERE IS A REASON.When all the other map companies go out of business and Google starts charging YOU royalties every time you use your car GPS, you will be the first ones screaming and crying.[/citation]

They aren't going to charge a fee ever...If map companies do a good job and offer a good product...they won't go bankrupt.

kopial

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
As always French bigotary. French govt should be fined by the rest of the World for being anti-competitive. Boo to French! Rapist govt leader walks free in France. Do any good ever come from that country?

kopial

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
As always French bigotary. French govt should be fined by the rest of the World for being anti-competitive. Boo to French! Rapist govt leader walks free in France. Do any good ever come from that country?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
typical french
Because Google was offering a service that one French company provided for free, thus the latter cried "anti-competitive" to the French court system.
didn't need to read beyond that point when they are crying over another free service competing against their free service!

G

Google earns from advertising ,their costs are eventually passed onto consumers anyway.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
The reading comprehension is indeed off here.

"Because Google was offering a service that one French company provided for free, thus the latter cried "anti-competitive" to the French court system"
This sentence clearly changes the meaning that was intended.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Technically maps is ad supported.. And to charge they should offer something that is better than google maps if they have nothing new or interesting then they will fail as a company anyway. How they won is beyond me. Reminds me of patent trolling.

imi2003

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Yes Google started offering the free map service WORLDWIDE, for the sole purpose of competing against a small never-heard of French map company.
Google should just start charging people in France for using their services, lets see how long it takes for the French judges come to their senses.
Oh they must be using the same lawyers apple used to sue samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.