Google: Froyo Not Optimised For Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I hope they make Android 3.0+ fit the form factors of these tablets. It would be a shame for Google to miss out on the push being made by the hardware manufacturers so they could try to make Chrome replace what they already have in place.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
No, no, no, keep plain old Android on the tablets. One of the great things about Android is how far reaching it is. basically Android is the mobile version of Windows. I would much prefer to see Android evolve as a multi-platform OS then have more Google OS's running around.

Also there is a thing called Appslib which is an App catalog for Android that is designed specifically with tablets in mind. It just started accepted paid apps, so hopefully it catches on.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Yep, everyone is still trying to play catch up with the #1 spot, Apple. It's the same issue with the phones; a new version of Faildroid comes out, and none of the phones support it for months. No surprise that the tablets come out and won't even support it, LOL. Typical, pathetic experience that can be expected from Faildroid.

Maybe one of these days Faildroid and all the iPad / iPhone wannabes will catch up to where Apple was a year ago, but by that time, Apple will be even farther ahead in everything than they already are...and that's a LOT.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Of course, Google could have worded this better.
Instead of dissing their own product they should really be saying that they are "constantly striving to improve their already great service and will be bringing out ever better tablet OS's soon".
This is a sign of business immaturity, they have a lot to learn from Microsoft about this.
How on earth did MS survive the transition through Windows ME? Because they didn't call it the turkey it was, they simply promised us that XP was just around the corner - and it worked!

Google could well become the next Microsoft as the world goes mobile OS, but really needs to stop making PR faux-pa's like this.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Yep, everyone is still trying to play catch up with the #1 spot, Apple. It's the same issue with the phones; a new version of Faildroid comes out, and none of the phones support it for months. No surprise that the tablets come out and won't even support it, LOL. Typical, pathetic experience that can be expected from Faildroid.Maybe one of these days Faildroid and all the iPad / iPhone wannabes will catch up to where Apple was a year ago, but by that time, Apple will be even farther ahead in everything than they already are...and that's a LOT.[/citation]
I'm surprised you had time to type such a long comment between your sweaty lovemaking sessions with you iPad and iPhone. Don't they get sticky after a while?

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Yep, everyone is still trying to play catch up with the #1 spot, Apple. It's the same issue with the phones; a new version of Faildroid comes out, and none of the phones support it for months. No surprise that the tablets come out and won't even support it, LOL. Typical, pathetic experience that can be expected from Faildroid.Maybe one of these days Faildroid and all the iPad / iPhone wannabes will catch up to where Apple was a year ago, but by that time, Apple will be even farther ahead in everything than they already are...and that's a LOT.[/citation]

You see iPhone/Pod/Pad/Pwhatever as a complete product. Custom tailored hardware, design and OS and as a combo, I agree that it has the killer right now and is setting the grounds of the market with innovative functions and integration. But android is an opensource platform and like Linux one of its main goals should be to cover different configurations of hardware. Noone (I really hope) wants to get chained in a console-like platform, get assimilated and then when there is no way out get milked...

gamesmachine

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Faildroid.Maybe one of these days Faildroid and all the iPad / iPhone wannabes will catch up to where Apple was a year ago

Yeah because iOS is waaaay ahead on numbers in the US....oh hang on...oh and it doesnt support any of the features of iOS like I dunno....Multitasking or Customisation?!

Jeez pull your head out of your ass! More to life than Apple.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]U MAD.[/citation]
No. I was asking you a question. I myself am aware of the capabilities of the various handheld, connected platforms available today. I think each have their own merits and faults. I'm not overly biased toward one or another, especially to the point of calling the one I might disfavor a childish, modified name. Then again, the Android platform from Google has some interesting possibilities; the iFail platform from Crapple has theirs...

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]gamesmachine[/nom]...oh and it doesnt support any of the features of iOS like I dunno....Multitasking or Customisation?![/citation]

I'm sure you meant "Faildroid" there instead of "iOS".

How embarrassing for you :(

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Sound mad.[/citation]
Um, in case your imagined ivory tower is not obvious to you, I'm lampooning your anger and narrow mindedness. If satire is beyond you, just go with the flow...and good luck with the Android bashing, if that's what floats your boat. It may take more energy than you think to maintain your illusion that you are not angry, while you are maligning non-Apple solutions.

messele

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
So google knew that all these hardware guys were working on tablets for months now and it didn't occur to them before now to mention that a custom write of the OS would be needed.

That's pretty hard to believe. All this "custom animation" and "wow factor" is a bunch of crap. Something is wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.