Google Goes for Gaming, Hires Ex-SCEA Employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
What? Mobile platforms? Social networks? Does that mean we will get more Farmville-ish rubbish? At this rate, gaming soon won't be a suitable geek hobby. Rather, it will be yet another way for teenage girls to 'socialize'...

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
'The frak? They do everything! Internet, search, docs, games, tablets, operating systems, browsers, kitchen sinks...

The EU is going to love this.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Can you say casual games.

This is a real step down for an SCEA exec.
I bet after the first meeting he was like: No, I mean I wanted to create the GoogleSphere 720 here, not develop a new way to play Bejewled!

jon bon wonton

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Around the year 2018, a company will appear and release a phone that.... calls other people with maximum clarity. Nothing else. It won't have games, social interaction and many, many people will praise the damn thing.Simplicity can be good at times. (I own a HD2 and hardly use most of the functions.. then why did I buy it fool?)[/citation]

Yes. I predict "Social Networking" to be the next Internet bubble to burst. While sites like Twitter and Facebook will still exist (more likely to be whatever other sites have usurped them in popularity), hardware companies will realize there isn't money to be made in throwing R&D funds at implementing them with their hardware.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
So Google sponsors AI competions
(e.g. http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/contest/rankings.php).
Next thing we know, Google will venture into the weapons development program ... and skynet is born.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
lets just hope they talk partnerships and not recreating their own platform. a google + valve partnership could be a very interesting thing to see!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jon bon wonton[/nom]Yes. I predict "Social Networking" to be the next Internet bubble to burst.[/citation]

I personally think that online social interactions will continue to increase and at an ever increasing rate. That's not to say that I'm happy about it (I don't even have a facebook account), but I'm betting that it will happen. Sites will become more and more integrated and eventually people will develop a quasi-global online profile. Then we end up voluntarily hooking into the matrix and humanity ceases to exist.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jon bon wonton[/nom]Yes. I predict "Social Networking" to be the next Internet bubble to burst. While sites like Twitter and Facebook will still exist (more likely to be whatever other sites have usurped them in popularity), hardware companies will realize there isn't money to be made in throwing R&D funds at implementing them with their hardware.[/citation]
Social networks wont burst because they have a ton of information they can sell. Yes, that information is the information they collect from users. They can sell information such as the # of people who have "Firefly" in their favorite movies list to how many users are single and play farmville. Information collection is where they are going to keep themselves from bursting when the bandwagon moves on to some other social network (I predict buzz is next). Myspace has been running on this model for a long time now.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Soon, we will be able to fly to the Google Space Station (free but add-supported) using the Google Space taxi (free but add supported), where we can enjoy the Google Gaming platform (free but add supported) on a Google Hardware computer (free but add supported), while enjoying a Google Beer (free but add supported) and looking at a Google Prostitute (free but add supported), while browsing the web in a Google browser and using a Google search engine (free but add supported).

Status
Not open for further replies.