Google Launches 'Google Fiber For Communities'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]What a bunch of sheep the people in the video are. Hard facts[/citation]

God forbid someone wants quick internet...

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Boy would I "enjoy" that kind of speed...With the hustler's new 3D avatar "movie" being js one of the things we could stream in 3D

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well its pretty clear that google is out for world domination...

...but to be honest, i think i don't mind being dominated by google, IF U NA' MEANN

colesym

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
World domination? This is USA, a country far behind with internet connections. While most other countries don't have gigabit, they have 100mbit. For example my 100mbit fiber connection costs $15 a month.

There's also the issue that a lot of peoples hard disks wont even write at gigabit speeds (especially small laptop drives), and that most sites will limit you to about 24mbit, nevermind 1000mbit.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]colesym[/nom]World domination? This is USA, a country far behind with internet connections. While most other countries don't have gigabit, they have 100mbit. For example my 100mbit fiber connection costs $15 a month.There's also the issue that a lot of peoples hard disks wont even write at gigabit speeds (especially small laptop drives), and that most sites will limit you to about 24mbit, nevermind 1000mbit.[/citation]

well good thing there is only one computer per IP Address huh...NOT. i assure you sir that i can take up more than a gigabit internet connection with all the computers in my house.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and who is gonna have the power to look in to your life with incredible speed... big google is watching you... and you will give your privacy willingly because of gigabit for second...

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
"Google says it won't name the winner (or winners!) at the end of the year."

Why not? Maybe sometime next year, then? :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]What a bunch of sheep the people in the video are. Hard facts[/citation]
Baaaaaah!
Can I have my fibre now? My ISP doesn't want to share their fibre network with the public. D:

1GB? Wow, and here I was thinking it was a single mere Gigabit. At a GigaByte, I'd be off buying a highend RAID card to utilise it all and run a personal server.

Though it must be asked, with a full fibre system in place, what kind of international latencies will we be getting?

ngom52

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
They're trying to give you a better internet experience and this is how you respond? What on earth is wrong with you?

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I wish my area got some fiber....Verizon doesnt want to put it in my area because the cost vs profit margin isnt bid enough for them (country area). Which sucks since some guys I know in the area install the stuff in cities around here... Wish google would put it in here so that maybe it would give Verizon a clue. Also where I am there is only 1 option for internet (unless you want dial up...).

G

I had 100mbit fiber at my old apartment and it was awesome, I filled up several HDDs with shows and movies in HD in no time.
But I wouldn't have dared to download so excessively if I had lived in the US.
My point is, having a super-fast internet connection might eventually work against you if you live in a police state.

noxqz

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Can you imagine the withdrawals after Google ends the trial program. There will be a whole community somewhere that will feel like they got thrown back into the stone age.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I wonder what Google does to make the 1Gbit internet profitable? They probably monitor all your traffic, and target ads directly to your computer? Even worse, maybe they'll mail you ads since they know you address from your subscription information.

That's the thing, thus far, Google doesn't know where I live, providing internet service (and thus a place to send the bill), is the last link they'll need before they can completely control my life. It's kind of scary. Oh wait, I signed up for Google Checkout, so I guess they already have a billing address for me. Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.