Google Launching Desktop Notifications for Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Seems like a decent feature, but it would be a lot more useful to me (personally, anyway) if it sent a desktop notification of new emails any time you had a chrome window open, rather than only when you already have gmail open in a tab or window (which currently appears to be the case). If I have to have the inbox open somewhere anyway, there's not a ton of added value in desktop notifications, since I'm constantly switching between tabs, and it already has an indicator on gmail's browser tab if you have new emails.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Forget what I said above, I don't see the value in this feature at all. Gmail notifier has always let you get desktop notifications of new emails without having to have a browser open at all, and gchat's default is set to make your browser tab flash whenever you get a new message. Point of new feature = ?

G

I've been using trillian for a few years, it does all this and more.

tonyburkhart

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
This is useful for my needs on one computer. I love that I don't have to install any other extensions or add-ons, etc. I don't run any chat/IM program on this computer. This is used for one purpose: reading news stories and submitting them, via email. Getting desktop notifications, without having to switch tabs, or keep offline mail running is fabulous. Thanks Google! Story = Dugg :)

Gizshep

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I can recommend Gmail Notifier Plus: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/777838-rel-gmail-notifier-plus-for-windows-7/

No popups, but can play a sound. Allows for multiple accounts, displays unread email when holding mouse over it (arrows to navigate all unread), or shows the most resent unread ones in a list if you rightclick.

G

Firefox users can install tab notifier:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/tab-notifier/

Status
Not open for further replies.