Google Maps Gets Offline Mode; Google Earth 3D Rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I'm definitely looking forward to offline mode. Wonder how much room will be needed for local storage of the maps.

G

Google heard Apple was making a far superior Maps app and was going to introduce it next week, so it had to announce its CRapp early and unfinished just to steal Apple's thunder.

Nothing new here, seeing as how Google's business model is based on stealing from Apple.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I hope this works on pc/laptops(offline)
Maintaining a wireless(cellular) always on connection is expensive...
This is what I need for my job before you go harping on me about GPS on cellphones/Garmin GPS devices.....

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Finally! I thought they already had some limited offline functionality though (it can precache maps, but you can only use it as a GPS if you start that route and load everything for it ahead of time, no changing the route later during the trip).

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hopefully offline mode will work with satellite images as well, and not just maps. This would be a really useful tool to see the terrain when backpacking, where I usually have no signal.

Sweet!

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Offline mode - You've been able to pre-cache 10 areas of 20x20 mile squares for ages. Whilst handy, it is limited, so this just sounds like an upgrade rather than something new.

What we do need is routing done on the phone when you have no data signal. If you're driving in the country and deviate off your Google satnav route, it tries to re-route you but of course fails with no data signal... you're suddenly lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.