Google Maps vs. Waze: Which navigation app is better?

Mar 2, 2022
I just want instructions to get from A to B but the clincher for me was Waze's ability to save the planned journey for future use, be it the following day or whatever. If Google Maps offers something similar, I haven't seen it. Appreciate the comparison - found it very helpful.

Sep 8, 2022
But the key difference, as I understand it. is Waze will reliably tell me about police stakeouts, red light cameras and speed cameras while Google Maps will not.

Dec 31, 2022
The main reason I switched from Waze to Google Maps was because it's too aggressive with rerouting. I prefer to have the option to refuse the rerouting - it often would take me way out of the way to save 2 minutes and then if I went the way it suggested traffice would be building and it would end up taking longer.

Elli21486

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
One of the biggest overlooked aspect of Waze that is hardly ever mentioned in the articles are the group of volunteer editors that maintain the Waze maps. They not only solve issues that general users report via the app but will also provide real time road closures, update place information (such as business hours, website, phone, etc), and keep the map as accurate as they can. In several areas, the Waze map is more accurate than Google maps.

geemymd

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
But the key difference, as I understand it. is Waze will reliably tell me about police stakeouts, red light cameras and speed cameras while Google Maps will not.
google maps knows red light cameras and speed cameras too and gives you visual and voice alerts too. not for police stakeout though.
the first menu when you swipe up while navigating is "add a report" with the options crash/speed trap/slowdown/construction/lane closure/stalled vehicle/object on road
but I think the waze community is much more active and the reports are made easier with a button always visible and just two taps required

geemymd

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
One of the biggest overlooked aspect of Waze that is hardly ever mentioned in the articles are the group of volunteer editors that maintain the Waze maps. They not only solve issues that general users report via the app but will also provide real time road closures, update place information (such as business hours, website, phone, etc), and keep the map as accurate as they can. In several areas, the Waze map is more accurate than Google maps.
google maps offers the same, you can suggest modification on any public information. while driving, the options are more basic of course, just road/lane closure
the information I found wrong usually were accurate location of a shop in a mall, which cant rely on address.