Google May Be Selling Nexus 7 At a Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Tablets being sold at a loss. Hmm...

Consoles are being sold at a loss except for the Wii...

Essentially all printers are being sold at a loss (though printer ink cost around $4,400 per gallon)...

Why am I surprised?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
And I also forgot about the phones. Some are "free", only if you sign up for a wallet-draining 2-5 year contract that docks $200 from your credit card if you cancel it.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
They aren't selling at a loss. Packing and distribution may account $5. Marketing is a one time thing. Sell hundreds and thousands of units while getting $10 per device and you get enough profit out of it. And the 16 GB model has more profit.

Of course, this is if we take these numbers as true.

No one is selling things at a loss. That's a stupid business. Even if you get money afterwards (software, games). No one sells at a loss if there's not guarantee that you will get the money, as in phone contracts were you are obliged to pay for X months, or when you ask your bank for a loan.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
They aren't selling at a loss. Packing and distribution may account $5. Marketing is a one time thing. Sell hundreds and thousands of units while getting $10 per device and you get enough profit out of it. And the 16 GB model has more profit.

Of course, this is if we take these numbers as true.

No one is selling things at a loss. That's a stupid business. Even if you get money afterwards (software, games). No one sells at a loss if there's not guarantee that you will get the money, as in phone contracts were you are obliged to pay for X months, or when you ask your bank for a loan.

G

Maybe the reason they are selling at loss is because it is "not cool"...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]zulutech[/nom]Good job Google! Someone innovative without Apple's insane profit margins![/citation]

what's ironic is that the rumoured cost of the iPad for Apple is about the same as the claimed cost of this Nexus 7, but the iPad contains a far higher specification.

It just shows you that Apple achieves such high profit margins by being able to drive down costs as much as anything else - that's the benefit of focusing on just 1 or 2 devices but on a massive scale.

SK711G

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]what's ironic is that the rumoured cost of the iPad for Apple is about the same as the claimed cost of this Nexus 7, but the iPad contains a far higher specification.It just shows you that Apple achieves such high profit margins by being able to drive down costs as much as anything else - that's the benefit of focusing on just 1 or 2 devices but on a massive scale.[/citation]

You are so right, apple only makes 1-2 devices, ok so lets count, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch,iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, Apple TV, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro , Mac mini, iMac, Mac Prom thats 12, yup thats 1 and 2, just a bit closer together! now add the models with in each class, 50-60, idk, i have better things to think about

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
What I said:

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]focusing on just 1 or 2 devices[/citation]

What YOU saw:

[nom]blind_person[/nom]apple only makes 1-2 devices

OK so yes, 'lets count; - on a scale of 1-10 how epically you failed to read.

With the 37 million iPhones that customers snapped up over the holidays, Apple has sold 183 million of the devices since the product went on sale in 2007. Revenue from the iPhone and iPad — neither of which could be bought five years ago — now accounts for 72 percent of Apple’s total revenue, underscoring the transformation of the company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/technology/apples-profit-doubles-as-holiday-customers-snapped-up-iphones.html?pagewanted=all

iPad = 1 device (at any given time)
iPhone = 1 device (at any given time)

Now what is 1 + 1?

You definitely have better things to think about... school would be high up on that list.

SK711G

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
probably not the best business strategy with 72% in one of 12 products, mobile phones, i guess it did give apple an extra decade before bankruptcy, you dont have Mr.Jobs anymore, w/o him apple almost died, if you dont learn from history, your bound to repeat it i hopes me book learn'n is goods enuff for yous in yalls ivory tower

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I don't quite see how your rant has any relevance to my original point that Apple achieves low cost prices by focusing on 2 products... a point which I maintain and you haven't disproved.

Since they are currently the richest tech company in the world I think they would beg to differ about your 'expert' views on their strategy too, but I don't really care about that.

you dont have Mr.Jobs anymore

'you' ? Are you confusing me with Tim Cook?

Bless, lol.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Google has said they're not looking to profit from the Nexus 7 already. It's really meant to jump start the moribund Android tablet market...both developers and users.

Amazon's Kindle is running ancient 2.x and Google really wants devs to use 4.x.

Apples doesn't make much from their iPad either...their huge profit comes from the 30% cut in their app store....

Status
Not open for further replies.