Google May Launch MP3 Store Before November

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Why always MP3 which is not free, must use other "free" compression codecs like ogg, which i think sounds better than MP3 plus without the license.

G

"The New York Times reports that Google is gearing up to launch an MP3 store to compliment its current music locker"

You mean complement, not compliment. Common mistake. Good article!

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
yeah man, flac is the way forward lossless music compression, larger file sizes but these days data is cheap. Open too. It always amazes me that people are happy to hear "MP3 Player" but their eyes glaze when you start talking about "compression". Education needs to catch up with the world.
But then, maybe it's just that i'm boring ;)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Why always MP3 which is not free, must use other "free" compression codecs like ogg, which i think sounds better than MP3 plus without the license.[/citation]
Because even Amish people have heard of MP3s and they are trying to appeal to the broadest possible market, including technical retards who think that MP3 is the only digital music format.

PuckerFactor

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I have no sympathy for the record industry, they have done nothing to improve the listening experience since the Compact Disc...nowadays its worse quality because it's all mp3 format. We still listen to music in stereo, yet the movie industry has 7-1 Surround Sound? I couldn't care leses about cloud servers and streaming it to my device...Apple and Amazon are marketing what they consider to be something we need...or what is the next evolution....but they are dumbing down the technical requirements to simply copy media to your device...all this Cloud server hype is in order to keep control of DRM and profits....and the technically inept sheep will allow it to happen.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]yeah man, flac is the way forward lossless music compression, larger file sizes but these days data is cheap. Open too. It always amazes me that people are happy to hear "MP3 Player" but their eyes glaze when you start talking about "compression". Education needs to catch up with the world.But then, maybe it's just that i'm boring[/citation]

I agree with you fully. FLAC is honestly the best thing I've heard...EVER. Sure, file sizes often exceed 20MB for the average music file, but in return you are ensured that you don't lose much quality, if at all, from the recording studio, and it's free for anyone to use. And like santfu said, data is cheap. I still fondly remember my 128MB MP3 player, and how everyone thought that was the shit, and how I had to monitor the bitrates of my songs and rotate them regularly so I got to listen to my music collection of 50 songs.
Now, 16GB is standard. Large file sizes just don't really matter anymore. Heck, some episodes of my anime collection exceed 1GB for just 30 minutes.

Down with MP3, I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.