Google May Nuke Plan for Subscription Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I really really do love what google is doing with the cloud.

But what happens when we buy a Chrome netbook and we lose access to the internet? I want to at least be able to listen to music!

Then again, most people have ipods/mp3 players nowadays.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Google also reportedly hired on music technology lawyer Elizabeth Moody back in July to take the reigns of the project. Moody is supposedly in close negotiations with the four big record labels, however Google as a company has not started official negotiations with the actual music publishers-- they hold a different set of rights.
If I purchase the rights to play a song to myself, why can't I store it on a cloud service where I can access it from anywhere? I don't understand why Google needs the record labels' buy-in, but it bothers me to think that EMI, Sony, WB, or Universal will get a nickel every time I stream a song to my phone that I already paid them for.

Still, the government seems to be looking the other way when it comes to Google and fair-use. I mean, why hasn't the government gone after studios for banning their websites from the GoogleTV browser? I mean, what's next, you can only access Hulu from IE? Something tells me if Microsoft paid Hulu for that privilege, THEN the government would step in, but demanding the same payment from Google isn't criminal extortion?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
An unnamed source close to Google's music plans claim
boy they really need to get rid of those ex-apple employees. it's getting to be like the white house/congress over there.
similar tomSpot.
play on words or a hint about tomS pot and all that doobie rollin' and smokin' going on.methinks it would explain alot!

G

A similar service has existed for quite a while in the form of mp3tunes.com. Which is owned by the company that brought you linspire (Acquired by Xandros) and gizmo (acquired by google). Mp3tunes was sued for allowing end-users to store their music in the cloud, the service is still around but I'm not sure how many people actually are aware of its existence and still use it. It seems development of the platform has not progressed much. I still have an account there but I don't use it much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.