Google Nexus One

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I Put together a website for the Nexus One check it out lemme know what you think, or what needs to be changed. =)
www.n1user.com

jkeopka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Gosh, I considered the Nexus One to be offered at a decent pricepoint. I am an iPhone 3GS convert, and heck it was cheaper than my 3GS and in my opinion much better.

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
you pay for cutting edge tech.

Disappointed that Google could have changed the market by selling at low cost.

Googles profit is from ads. Widespread useage of android devices = more revenue for Google. So by selling its flagship device at say half of what they actually sold it for, they could have made big inroads into the mobile OS market shares.

Maybe too revolutionary? Or too much cost was involved in R&D?

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

Fellow Nexus One user?
My guess is that it wasn't supposed to sell that well. Android prospers when it's on more phones and more carriers made by more manufacturers. If Google, who provides Android, starts offering their own phones at cutthroat prices that are better than the others, will the others want to stay with google, who are starving them of profit by offering better phones? No. So google sells the Nexus One for a lot of money. Then, the only people who will buy it are people who are really knowledgeable about phones. They get their own "special phone", reserved almost exclusively for them because no one else wants to pay 530 for a phone. They then can explain to less tech-savvy friends about what android is, why it's good. I know personally I have convinced 4 friends to get android phones and helped all of them with finding quality apps and tweaking the experience to make it optimal. So I'd say it helps google drum up business, keeps devs and knowledgeable people happy by making sure they have their own phone, and doesn't compete too heavily with companies like motorola who are pushing full on android and making hundreds of thousands of android phones.

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010

Yep, im a N1 user :)

yea thats what I meant by "too revolutionary" ie it would have alienated HTC, Motorola, Samsung, and anyone else who might jump on the andriod bandwagon.

Plus I dont believe google wants to roll out another phone in a years time (a la apple style) - the N1 was only intended to demonstrate the abilities of the Andrroid OS to the public and to manufactorers like HTC etc.

Only thing is they had better keep the N1 as one of the flagship models for while ie it better had get updated to 2.3 and 2.4 at minimum (thats 3 yrs or so = reasonable lifetime)

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Exactly! We get it first :)
I doubt google will do a phone a year deal--the Nexus One is a jumpstart for Android to force companies to make really nice Android phones. It's still a defining phone, but it's starting to not be king with the Evo 4g, Droid Incredible, the newer ones coming out.
I think it'll stay flagship for a while, it looks/is too good not to :)