Google+ Now Open to Everyone With New Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I'm on Facebook, I'll admit it. I don't think it's such a big deal. I don't put any photos or information on there that I wouldn't mind anyone and everyone to see, and I monitor the privacy settings closely, all the while assuming that said information is probably being sold anyway.

However, I refuse to get on Google+. Why? One simple reason: Limited privacy settings. I've worked to make it so that you can't just do a google search or facebook search to find my profile. Google apparently thinks this is a silly idea, and it pretty openly states that you can't turn off the ability for people to search your name from google/other search engines.

Which really seems silly.

hyphycus

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom] Google apparently thinks this is a silly idea, and it pretty openly states that you can't turn off the ability for people to search your name from google/other search engines. Which really seems silly.[/citation]
By default, your profile will appear in Google search results. You can change your profile settings at any time if you don't want Google and other search engines to index your profile.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I'm on both Google+ and Facebook. While I prefer Google+ most of my friends were on FB. When FB changed it's layout, many of them hated it and switched to Google+ but I think their reasons were a bit ridiculous.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I'm on both Google+ and Facebook. While I prefer Google+ most of my friends were on FB. When FB changed it's layout, many of them hated it and switched to Google+ but I think their reasons were a bit ridiculous.[/citation]

i always wondered if any of them ever liked any of the changes facebook made

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I've worked to make it so that you can't just do a google search or facebook search to find my profile. Google apparently thinks this is a silly idea, and it pretty openly states that you can't turn off the ability for people to search your name from google/other search engines. Which really seems silly.[/citation]

Who cares if they search for your name? If you only post to your circles then the public won't be able to view anything relevant anyway? Just a name and a singular picture.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The Droid Bionic is faulty and emits a high-pitched noise when using the headphone jack. It is either due to lousy hardware (Motorola) or the lousy OS (Android). If you are in the market for a new phone, wait for the new iPhone in October; you will get much faster / more stable hardware and software.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I wish I could use the excuse of being too old for not understanding this whole social networking site thing but there are apparently tons of those much older than me using Facebook.
I will never understand the real functions of these sites. I can host pictures and share pictures elsewhere, I can play games elsewhere, I can actually talk to my friends and loved ones or send them a email if unable to call them. Really what service do these sites provide that make them so popular. I just don't get it.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Everyone hating on social networks needs to get over themselves and stop smelling their own farts, seriously. Social networks are a great way to plan events, share photos, or keep in contact with business contacts. I use Google+ to stay in contact with every other game developer I know, and it helps me meet new ones too. Twitter is cool for quick updates, and I use it, but it doesn't really let you meet new people like Facebook, or better yet, Google+ do.

Yes people can make social networks look super lame, but have you ever been to a great bar that's just crowded with a bunch of losers? I know I have. Don't hate on the service, hate on people messing it all up. Social networking sites are great if used properly, blame humanity and people specifically for whatever gripes you have with them. As for thinking you're "cool", or above other people for NOT using them, get the f@#k over yourself, and throw your mac out the window while you're at it.

samanosuke47

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I'm having an open mind about Google+, I actually set mine up the other day, and it seemed pretty neat. But time will undoubtedly tell.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]The Droid Bionic is faulty and emits a high-pitched noise when using the headphone jack. It is either due to lousy hardware (Motorola) or the lousy OS (Android). If you are in the market for a new phone, wait for the new iPhone in October; you will get much faster / more stable hardware and software.[/citation]
Trollalalalalala......

adobejesus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I'm on Facebook, I'll admit it. I don't think it's such a big deal. I don't put any photos or information on there that I wouldn't mind anyone and everyone to see, and I monitor the privacy settings closely, all the while assuming that said information is probably being sold anyway.However, I refuse to get on Google+. Why? One simple reason: Limited privacy settings. I've worked to make it so that you can't just do a google search or facebook search to find my profile. Google apparently thinks this is a silly idea, and it pretty openly states that you can't turn off the ability for people to search your name from google/other search engines. Which really seems silly.[/citation]

As for facebook having more privacy than Google+ I couldn't agree more. As for not finding you on a seach engine... I call BS. I would bet my left nut I can find you within the first 5 pages of as Google search. Not to mention a facebook search would turn up results too.

Status
Not open for further replies.