Google Nukes Black Horizontal Nav Bar for Pull-Down Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
F*CK!!! Stop messing with the interface. I still use Google because it isn't all crapped up , Ahem...Bing. I guess it is time to find an alternative, the changes to the News layout were bad enough.

Bye Google.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Stop adding shit we don't need Google. The reason your search engine was so popular was because of it's super-minimalist approach. Even if speed is a non-issue these days I still don't want a bunch of stuff on the page.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]So basically they're making clicking one of the links twice as long.[/citation]

Google, Vista edition :)

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Stop adding shit we don't need Google. The reason your search engine was so popular was because of it's super-minimalist approach. Even if speed is a non-issue these days I still don't want a bunch of stuff on the page.[/citation]

Exactly! That is why I too complained about the Black Bar of Distraction.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Wonderful, more stupid pop-up features! I LIKE having the black bar on top, and it looks like what they've done is make the Google logo/search pane BIGGER to take up the space that the black bar used to take - so we haven't gained anything except a pop-up POS . . .

And, wait, aren't our screens (non tablet/phone) getting bigger? I know I have massive screen real estate on my desktop, and with a 17" MBP I have a ton of pixels there too. Why are we being so stingy with pixels?

come on Google, quite screwing with stuff. ..

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Bearguy : They didn't add anything. They changed the google bar to a new location.[/citation]

I was speaking more in general terms. They keep adding things to Google, to the point where there is just too much going on. Give me a simple screen with a search.

G

They finally discovered the Start button... Windows 95, anyone?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I miss the simple, featureless Google that made them popular. The hospital I work at still has many old Athlon Dual core systems that they won't be upgrading for another year or so. "Google Instant" bogs these things down like nothing before. I've had so many tickets put in for "google keeps freezing" it's ridiculous. I'm betting this new menu thing is going to bog them down even more.

While they're also so concerned about saving a few pixels at the top of the screen by getting rid of menu bars, address bars, favorites bars etc, they need to start convincing web devs to make their sites as wide as most widescreen monitors. I'm typing this into Tom's which is like 640 pixels wide on a screen that's nearly 3x as wide. I don't get the "minimalist" obsession when talking about vertical pixels when most websites have massive empty spaces on both sides anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.