Google Play Protect Fails Android Antivirus Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudey123

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
My question is - who needs Android AV? I've had Android in my pocket since day 1 and I've never had a need for AV.

hudey123

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

I use tons of apps. I just stick with the apps that aren't going to infuse malware into your device... Dropbox, Netflix, Google apps, games from large development studios... it's easy to avoid crappy apps in my opinion.

mystilleef

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
D0 NOT RUN ANTI-VIRUS Software on Android. THEY ARE USELESS.

I'm an Android developer. These security firms are simply peddling their products by fearmongering. Android processes are sandboxed. You cannot perform any kind of security analysis on a sandboxed process. Nothing is going to change this.

These security firms simply want access to your data. You have to give them permission to all the data on your phone for their software to perform generic and basic software scans.

Google Protect does not use traditional means of analyzing malicious software. It uses Machine Learning and AI. None of these security firms have the tools or sophistication to begin to analyze it. They are still using malware detection techniques used in Windows 95 or earlier.

So this article is bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.