Google Promises Fix For 2.5 Year-Old Android Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]But if this was an issue with an iPhone you'd be slamming Apple left and right...lmao.[/citation]

It wouldn't be an issue because Apple would've never announced it.

G

Seems about right. I got my Android POS about 2 years ago, so in the next 6 months it might actually be usable. Right?

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Xperia Bad Phone[/nom]Seems about right. I got my Android POS about 2 years ago, so in the next 6 months it might actually be usable. Right?[/citation]

Only with a custom ROM. If your Xperia is two years old then you're not going to be getting 4.3/5 from Sony!

While I'd agree that some bugs need to take lower priority, this kind of delay is ridiculous. It's the same problem in Linux and open-source in general - adding features before fixing bugs. New features are selling points and get people's attention. Bug fixes just make the product better quality and nicer to use.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]sam_p_lay[/nom]Only with a custom ROM. If your Xperia is two years old then you're not going to be getting 4.3/5 from Sony!While I'd agree that some bugs need to take lower priority, this kind of delay is ridiculous. It's the same problem in Linux and open-source in general - adding features before fixing bugs. New features are selling points and get people's attention. Bug fixes just make the product better quality and nicer to use.[/citation]

I agree with you (use Linux Mint), although it isn't as bad for many Linux distros compared to other things.
This is the most irritating thing when it comes to Android apps too.
Seems like they try the hardest to be on the cuting edge adding feature after features for different apps, bringing in a long never ending list of errors.
It seems like they just can't be satisfied with just error fixing updates instead of error fixing+new features and errors.
Prime examples for me are the android Winamp app, google listen (which never got fixed, they just left it in the end. Every listen update was just about new things and it got buggier and buggier), some keyboard apps and so on.
Good thing that it's possible to freeze apps with Titanium though...

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]I agree with you (use Linux Mint), although it isn't as bad for many Linux distros compared to other things.[/citation]

Mint was the first distribution I ever tried actually, the KDE spin of LM8/9. I was blown away with KDE (and still am!) but really disappointed in all the glitchyness. Even really front-end/non-technical stuff like just changing wallpapers, enabling effects, switching cursor theme (I know that's actually an Ubuntu bug that Mint inherited but still).

For the least buggy (though still a lot ah heck than Windows 7) distribution, I actually get along best with Ubuntu. Maybe because there are so many people working on it. Xubuntu and Kubuntu are awesome if you don't like Unity, or there's Bodhi (a little glitchier, but pretty awesome if you love Enlightenment 17).

100% with you about bug fixes vs features. I hate that with Adobe too and Creative Suite even though that's as closed-source as it gets! All that money behind it and they still can't get it right. I have a pretty low opinion of Adobe :) Curious about Titanium - what's that all about?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]But if this was an issue with an iPhone you'd be slamming Apple left and right...lmao.[/citation]I can't stand Apple, but you're essentially right in that there's a gap in the acceptance of Google issues vs. Apple issues. To be fair, Apple brings a lot of that on themselves with their attitude towards such matters, but it still smacks of hypocrisy.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I despise Apple but the way that comment ^ got voted down into oblivion just makes Android fans look pathetic and childish. I'd always go with Android (despite the fact that it does have its shortcomings) and wouldn't give Apple a penny of my money, but otacon72's point was valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.