Google Provides Flu Season Surveillance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
gm0n3y. they could be searching for doctors in their area? that's one response, after that i leave you to use your imagination, i know it's hard but try.

This would be nice if i could opt in to get a notice if my area appeared to have an outbreak starting, make sure to get extra vitamin C. though i do wish i could throttle how much information google picks up from me. kinda how i can throttle the "Safety" of my search results.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I wouldn't type "flu" into google if I wanted to find a doctor. My guess, on further consideration, is people looking for flu shots. Of course those would be people that don't have the flu, but it could still be indicative of people around them becoming sick (or it could just be the scare tactics used by the media).

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
"Why the hell would you google the flu?" -gm0n3y
"My guess, on further consideration, is people looking for flu shots." -gm0n3y

Please help keep useless comments out of the tubes and do the considering first next time.

(Nothing against you, just trying to make a point)

:)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I still find it odd that there are significant enough numbers of people googling "flu" to compose a dataset that is viable for statistical consideration.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Well the article says "flu related" so they could be searching for webmd or other websites with typical cold symptoms and google is picking that up. in other words google is looking for a lot of keywords, and my guess is they are contrasting it with your normal search history to rule out people who are hypochondriacs.

Alternator

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I think regardless of whether or not you would perform such a search, Google checked their data against the disease centre's data and found it was aligning.

It sounds interesting and potentially helpful at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS