Google Remotely Deletes Apps on Android Phones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
"WARNING: This app has been recalled due to malicious content. strongly suggests that you delete this app from your system. You will be refunded the purchase price. Delete App?"

You click no. Android puts a red border around the app, and bugs you every time you try to run it.

Voila, a choice.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
It's all complaints til people start installing apps that secretly call 900#s during idle time and run up your bill.. Then we'll beg google to automagically remove things since they will likely know about it and can remove it long before we receive the first bill for 10 grand.

G

Yay google for being a watchdog on their app store. I think this is ok. Its not the tool that is bad its how it is used right? That's what people say about guns, when they are used for protection its right and legit, when they are used to bully and take away your rights they are bad. Google is still the picture of integrity! No I don't work for them, but if they want to hire me I certainly would!

3p0cHx

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
The year: 2020. Martial law has been imposed on the country. You look to your android app "Freedom Camp locator". The app is gone, you are detained.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Why don't they just show an alert saying "Such-and-such app is useless, and Google strongly recommends uninstalling it. Do you want it to be automatically uninstalled?"

And in the case of the malicious app, at least tell the user that it's known to be malicious.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Okay, still waiting for the Google bashing here. Where is the spirit? j/k Seems like iPhone community is in remission and the hate comments against them worked? Sad day!

Anyway, housekeeping is fine with me and notifying the user and presenting a choice is what I would expect. Besides, if these two apps were junk, does that mean the remaining 74998 apps are useful? (I know, work with me here.)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]If google released test applications for security purposes, and the applications served zero purpose anyway, then who cares of Google removed them from its users' phones? If anything it's freeing up space for them.I get the whole "user privacy" thing, but if Google never had access to anyone's data, application, or usage stats just from this application, then no breach of privacy occurred.[/citation]
Yeah, right. It's OK if they mean well, right? (who gets to define 'means well'?) How naive can you get?

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I agree with a company like google having the ability to remotely remove apps because there are no restrictions on their apps - so there is a greater change of getting something malicious... Apple and Amazon on the other hand have more restrictions on what is available in the first place, so they have no right to remotely remove. That being said, I do agree that consent such as a "Recall" notice in the updates area should be required unless the particular app is doing serious damage to the phone or network (like if it were grinding it to a hault where you can't even open the update area).

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
they should apply a system that identifies what they can remove without permission damaging code, and what should be a notification/opt in for removal of other code. Regardless of the mode of removal though the user should be notified via text message about the removal and the reason why. If there true to there word and not planning on going nuts on this tool, then the cost of a message shouldent be that severe. plus adding the cost of text messaging to the recall makes it so they cant gut out your phone.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
obama and bush and congress have removed a shitload of your personal freedoms and most of you didnt complain this much. if only personal freedom was as worthwhile as an app on a cellphone. you all probably wont even blink when obama forces through the bill that lets him lock down and control the internet. good ole chairman maobama. download the congress app and read the bill then call your rep and bitch.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I expected this much. I disliked it when all of the other companies did it, and I dislike it now.

*sigh* Well, as long as they provide an optionality to this I won't make a big deal out of it, it'll help the dumb majority I hope.

G

While Google's remote-app removal was well intentioned, there should have been a request first. Maybe a pop-up window on your Android phone that says "Google request to remove app_name, Y/N?" or something. I don't think functionality like that would be too difficult to implement in a small 2.1 patch or something.

At least they're not dictating what you can or can't see on your phone unlike an iNazi.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]If google released test applications for security purposes, and the applications served zero purpose anyway, then who cares of Google removed them from its users' phones? If anything it's freeing up space for them.I get the whole "user privacy" thing, but if Google never had access to anyone's data, application, or usage stats just from this application, then no breach of privacy occurred.[/citation]
That's the iZombie way of thinking.

Be free. Big Brother is watching you.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
That's awesome. The openness of Android is great and scary. This actually makes me feel a bit safer. It would be easy for malicious code to get out there and ruin the Android experience for a lot of people.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Exactly. There is a difference between emptying the can at the curb and breaking into my locked house to get that trash...[/citation]
YOUR house? Your phone belongs to Google, son! You're just a tenant. They have the keys, and if they wanna stroll in and take stuff out of your house, or sleep with your wife, that's their choice. You didn't read the fine print's fine print!

Status
Not open for further replies.