Google Remotely Deletes Apps on Android Phones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I call #####

Watch your language please.

Why would they go to all this trouble and bad press?
I would bet the apps had same feture that Google did bot what out in the wild...

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I must say that if an app is malicious it should be removed ASAP, completely and without possibility of ignorant users not agreeing. Think about it, I know a lot of people who have downloaded viruses or malware onto their computers because they thought it was something else, now if they are naive enough to download and sometimes even install these threats, will they be smart enough to remove them themselves? Nope! If those Threats were to instantly vanish from their computers I'm sure not one of them would be angry, or even annoyed in the slightest, they'd be over the moon as their computer would be fixed for free and none of their files lost to improper formatting/restoring.

Actually once I was waiting for a Panasonic Flat Panel LCD TV to be delivered, my missus and I had been waiting for hours and decided to have some 'play time' so we retreated to the bedroom for about an hour, when we came out we noticed the TV had been delivered and was sitting in the living room!?!?! We hadn't heard the door so the deliveryman had taken it upon himself to let himself in and drop it off. There were mixed feelings on this, we were partly happy the guy hadn't just left a note and we'd have to waste another day waiting in for it, but we were both also quite freaked out that he had came into our flat without permission, the bedroom was just off the living room...Had he popped his head in to get a signature? Dunno we were to 'Wrapped up' in our play time to notice :) lol

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]"WARNING: This app has been recalled due to malicious content. strongly suggests that you delete this app from your system. You will be refunded the purchase price. Delete App?"You click no. Android puts a red border around the app, and bugs you every time you try to run it.Voila, a choice.[/citation]
This is a good idea, but I think you could go even further.

On some menu somewhere:
Remote Application Management:
1) Allow Google to remove applications deemed hazardous.
2) (Default) Allow Google to warn about and disable hazardous apps (similar to above). User can manually re-enable.
3) Do not allow remote app management of any type.

I don't think this is terrible, but I cannot feel happy about any remote management without the users permission, regardless of motive, as this is a slippery slope issue.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Although in this instance the ability was used for the benefit of it's users, whom is to say that next time things will be so benevolent? The phrase, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" applies perfectly here.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]FunYun[/nom]"One mans trash is another mans treasure"Until I put the garbage in the trash, it is not trash. How would you like it if I went through your home and chose what to throw away for you?[/citation]

Ok, but you better bring a 9m^3 skip bin with you... Err, make that two!

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The basterds!!!!

Now there is no single much-used high-profile OS for mobile devices where the manufacturer does not has all the power over the workings.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
If these companies are remotely snooping around peoples phones for what apps are on them or use a list of who downloaded what. I have to ask myself what else are they snooping into on the devices, personal pictures when ever a Gestapo wannabe Fed agent asks? What about PCs too. The new iPad and others, will they end up controlling us on our computers like the do on TV. That is their goal people, wake up.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]The basterds!!!!Now there is no single much-used high-profile OS for mobile devices where the manufacturer does not has all the power over the workings.[/citation]
Another reason I don't even have a cell phone. I can not believe how quickly we have become dependent on cell phones. I ask people why they have one and they basically say they couldn't live without one. What have we become, a bunch of Lemmings, that's what.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Well then this whole Android thing has taken a disturbing turn, but do not forget that Android is open source and removing the remote delete function might prove to be trivial.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
My question is ... why hasn't someone noticed this before. The entire Android OS code is opensource, someone should of noticed the code for auto-removal already. In a few days their will be a way to remove that ability on rooted phones.

G

"Google said the apps were pretty useless, and most people uninstalled it soon after the downloaded it, anyway"

Quite contrar', At least one app was ad blocker. They deleted it from my device.
I can only imagine that it was not good for there ad-sense money making Business model and that was there motive to delete it.
I no longer use the app store. I search for apk's and install directly.
2nd. to this is that they don't police the apps well at all. One app which is popular is the Tom Cat which is way cute but also installs a spyware trogan. My security program picked this up.
I think they have also deleted that security app as well.
Google may have got'n to big to be the do no evil company it portends to be.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]once a google fan[/nom]"Google said the apps were pretty useless, and most people uninstalled it soon after the downloaded it, anyway"Quite contrar', At least one app was ad blocker. They deleted it from my device.I can only imagine that it was not good for there ad-sense money making Business model and that was there motive to delete it. I no longer use the app store. I search for apk's and install directly.2nd. to this is that they don't police the apps well at all. One app which is popular is the Tom Cat which is way cute but also installs a spyware trogan. My security program picked this up.I think they have also deleted that security app as well.Google may have got'n to big to be the do no evil company it portends to be.[/citation]

I can't believe I'm reading this. Has it occurred to you that those shady apps might actually be harmful?

You're talking about an ad blocker and a "spyware scanner". Do you have any idea how much of a gold mine those kinds of apps are? Those are apps that have a free pass to ask for root permissions and get unconditional access to the whole system. Of course some of them are going to be completely fake and only pretend to do something, the ad blocker is trivial to implement though so in that particular case it might have done that too. The very same problem exists on Windows computers. Pirated anti-virus software gets full access to the computer and the user installing it would never suspect it's the cause of the infection, let alone the fact that they have been altered to not detect the virus it installed.

The Android security model is based on you making the decisions of what you want an app to do, which is why it shows you the permissions needed by the app when you install it. In other words, you are the malware blocker. It's a shame some people won't read this, because it's what stops you from encountering rouge apps like the ones you mention.

As for downloading apk files directly, it's a surefire way to get outdated versions injected with actual malware. No to mention your statement was borderline piracy encouragement, something that gets you banned from most forums worthy of respect. Please get your common sense back on track before you encounter an app that steals your identity.

TL;DR:
You've been fooled by a rouge security app, common sense works a lot better with the Android security model. Also, this thread is more than quarter of a decade old.

Status
Not open for further replies.